SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-09-09, 07:23 PM   #1
paiste

Talking Cleaned calipers and fitted springs.

Well finally got some bike time today! Stripped, cleaned out the detritus from the front calipers. I don't think these calipers have been serviced for a while!
Re-assembled and fitted some ebc sintered pads. Fitted my new braided lines and then put my hagon progressive springs in .
Only been for a 30 mile squirt, and quite a bit of that was a bit slow to bed in the brakes, but mostly because I keep thinking " did I torque everything up" !!
The brakes are a MASSIVE improvement, should've done this at the beginning of the summer. The hagons seem great, if not still a bit soft? I weigh about 13 stone, so thought these would be ok. Still an improvement on standard and I suppose I'll need to find some twisties to really tell the difference.
Overall very pleased with my afternoons work
Old 13-09-09, 07:29 PM   #2
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Default Re: Been busy today

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiste1 View Post
Well finally got some bike time today! Stripped, cleaned out the detritus from the front calipers. I don't think these calipers have been serviced for a while!
Re-assembled and fitted some ebc sintered pads. Fitted my new braided lines and then put my hagon progressive springs in .
Only been for a 30 mile squirt, and quite a bit of that was a bit slow to bed in the brakes, but mostly because I keep thinking " did I torque everything up" !!
The brakes are a MASSIVE improvement, should've done this at the beginning of the summer. The hagons seem great, if not still a bit soft? I weigh about 13 stone, so thought these would be ok. Still an improvement on standard and I suppose I'll need to find some twisties to really tell the difference.
I bet. I still need to fit a ZX10 shock i have knocking about let alone sort out the front forks.

Were the calipers hard to work on and service at all. The calipers scare me on my bike and probably in need of a good service.
Old 13-09-09, 07:34 PM   #3
rusty76

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiste1 View Post
Alright Paiste, how much were the pads?
Old 13-09-09, 07:39 PM   #4
paiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
I bet. I still need to fit a ZX10 shock i have knocking about let alone sort out the front forks.

Were the calipers hard to work on and service at all. The calipers scare me on my bike and probably in need of a good service.
Not too difficult. I followed YC's advice and popped the pistons out the hydraulic way! cleaned up the pistons, took out the dust seals cleaned all the carp out re-fitted the seals put a smidge of red rubber grease around the seals. Then cleaned and greased the sliding pins and re-assembled. If I can manage it, then that's a green light for anyone to be able to
If you get time Binky, give it a go, you'll be out braking everyone at Cadwell then!
Old 13-09-09, 07:46 PM   #5
paiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Alright Paiste, how much were the pads?
I got them from busters via ebay. They F*cked up the listing though. They advertised front sintered pads for sv650 and sent me rears! called them up and they said that they would send out the correct ones and that the listing was a mistake (it also said on the listing FA63 which apparently is the part number for rears) How the hell I'm supposed to know that I don't know. After about 10 days the fronts still hadn't arrived, so I gave them a call and was told the reason that they hadn't been released is the I owed them the difference between the fronts and rears! I'm waffling on now but after a bit of an argument I got whole front end sintered EBC pads for £28. Result!

If you can't be @rsed to read the first bit the answer is £28
Old 14-09-09, 11:12 AM   #6
paiste

Default Re: Cleaned calipers and fitted springs.

Why has my thread been renamed? I had been busy that afternoon!

N*zi moderators
Old 14-09-09, 11:18 AM   #7
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Default Re: Cleaned calipers and fitted springs.

Good deal, as far as I can tell[1] new suzuki pads are about 60quid!

Druid

[1] Seems about 40quid one side, 20quid the other!