SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-07-06, 11:34 AM   #1
Tris

Default Does a naked bike ACTUALLY make you ride slower

I kept getting"Oh sh*t" moments as I found myself significanlty over the limit riding to work this morning.

This is my first bike and I can remember when I felt that 60 was plenty quick enough

So my question is, if I switch to a naked bike would I ride slower for a bit due to the increased wind resistance, and then get used to that and be back up at silly speeds again?

Cheers
Old 12-07-06, 11:48 AM   #2
Mr Toad

Default Re: Does a naked bike ACTUALLY make you ride slower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
if I switch to a naked bike would I ride slower for a bit due to the increased wind resistance, and then get used to that and be back up at silly speeds again?
spot on

I find myself quite happily trundling around the motorway at about 90 ish when the conditions are right, and would probably go even faster if it wasn't for the deafening effect of the windblast, which drowns out the noise of the twin scorpions . . . even with earplugs.
Old 12-07-06, 11:49 AM   #3
jonboy

No, I assure you it doesn't . However it does discourage you from going over 120 for any reasonable period of time.

Old 12-07-06, 11:50 AM   #4
Law

There was an article on this a few months back in one of the magazines, Bike or Ride I can't remember. A naked only slows you down a bit if you want to, some owners swapped back to faired because they got annoyed with windblast.
Old 12-07-06, 12:14 PM   #5
diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
No, I assure you it doesn't . However it does discourage you from going over 120 for any reasonable period of time.

Gotta agree with Jonboy.

If you'd seen Baldyman junior on the North south rideout you wouldn't even ask that question. He was the fastest of all the sv's and was giving all the big 1000cc sports bikes a run for there money.
Old 12-07-06, 12:16 PM   #6
Amanda M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy

You are absolutely right
Old 12-07-06, 12:20 PM   #7
Demonz

I didnt find it made a difference. Not that my SVs had any great wind protection for me anyway.

Anything above 85 and I am generally aware of the windblast - but when at those speeds I am always aware I am over the limit regardless - and the eyes are searching for a reason to slow down.

I found by gearing my bike down by changing the sprocket it slowed me down a bit. The bike revs were higher so am more aware of this around town and at low speed areas so this did help.
Old 12-07-06, 12:31 PM   #8

i find it does.,... mind you , i have no need to go at 120, my license and life are too precious,

urs should be too,
Old 12-07-06, 12:35 PM   #9
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law
There was an article on this a few months back in one of the magazines, Bike or Ride I can't remember. A naked only slows you down a bit if you want to, some owners swapped back to faired because they got annoyed with windblast.
If I was doing a lot of motorway riding, I'd want a faired bike. For town, I prefer a naked.
Old 12-07-06, 01:30 PM   #10
dotted

On my naked my top constant speed was 150km/h , more than that only when i have to overtake a car !
And 150kmh was very painful ... lots of bugs hitting me , and the wind blast was scary !

Usually just being 10/20 km/h faster than the cars , is all i need to fell quick

ps:150km = 90miles