SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-08-10, 10:41 AM   #1
no_akira

Default Speed Cameras - switch off date vs prosecution chase end date ?

I've just been wondering about the big "switch off" of speed cameras with regards to the cut off date at which the organisations will continue to chase offenders?

I suspect that the agency's may possibly have already stopped processing offenders because I can imagine your going to get lots of caught speeders, during August claiming that they were under the impression that they had all been turned off. Which possibly hasn't been set as precedence in court yet?

Obviously I'm not brave / stupid or have enough spare points to brazenly test out own my hypothesis.
Old 18-08-10, 11:50 AM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Speed Cameras - switch off date vs prosecution chase end date ?

I think its different in each area. Although Dave & Co have taken away the funding for the Speed Cameras in each authority, not every authority has withdrawn the speed cameras.

Only Oxford & Swindon have switched theirs off to my knowledge? Devon & Cornwall are likely to shut theirs off.

But in Suffolk they haven't decided what to do yet, continue & fund it another way or shut it down
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-10, 12:15 PM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

Lancs (The county with 290 fixed speed cameras, six mobile enforcement vans rotated around 155 sites of ‘community concern’ plus 70 ‘core sites’) has said they are not turning them off. However, the councils funding the "Safety Partnership" unelected quango responsible for collecting 2 million quid a year plus issuing licence penalty points are questioning which cameras are for safety and which are for revenue.
Old 18-08-10, 12:18 PM   #4
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_akira View Post
I suspect that the agency's may possibly have already stopped processing offenders because I can imagine your going to get lots of caught speeders, during August claiming that they were under the impression that they had all been turned off. Which possibly hasn't been set as precedence in court yet?
You'd get laughed out of court if you turned up and said "I was only speeding cos I thought the camera was switch off, m'lud"
Old 18-08-10, 12:18 PM   #5
thedonal

Quote:
I've just been wondering about the big "switch off" of speed cameras with regards to the cut off date at which the organisations will continue to chase offenders?

Obviously I'm not brave / stupid or have enough spare points to brazenly test out own my hypothesis.
Not really going to wash as an excuse though is it-

Why were you speeding?

Oh, sorry! I thought the camera wasn't working, yeronner.
Old 18-08-10, 12:59 PM   #6
no_akira

I'll put it another way, because there is a four / six week lead time in processing offences are the company's responsible for doing the processing to be dismantled as well ? If they are then I can imagine there would have to be a cut off point at which no more offences would be processed ?
Old 18-08-10, 01:08 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

the government hasn't told the councils to 'turn them off' what they have said is 'all revenue will come to us but you will get no funding' so its up to each individual council to maintain them so most are turning off/removing them. its still legal for a council to issue speeding fines if they decide to turn one on for the day.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-10, 01:32 PM   #8
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
I'll put it another way, because there is a four / six week lead time in processing offences are the company's responsible for doing the processing to be dismantled as well ? If they are then I can imagine there would have to be a cut off point at which no more offences would be processed ?
What are you actually going on about? It does not take 4-6 weeks for an offence to be processed, if it did, the offence would be timebarred as the NIP needs to be sent out WITHIN 14 days, so you are talking nonsense.

Secondly, only one or two authorities have actually said they are turning them off and I am sure that means that FROM THE DATE THEY turn them off, there will be no more offences detected.....
Old 18-08-10, 06:20 PM   #9
no_akira

It was just supposition, I'm as clueless about the law as I am most other things but there seems to be people on this forum who do know (work for the police, courts). Sometimes things are not always "black & white", if they were we wouldn't have courts.

This is a public forum that allows users to ask questions anonymously, sometimes you even learn things.

Q: What does NIP mean ?
Old 18-08-10, 06:25 PM   #10
maviczap
Mega Poster

Notice of Intended Prosecution
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote