SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-03-13, 04:54 PM   #1
allantheboss

Default West London Yamaha

I feel this info is due before someone else falls into their traps.

I will put it in brief. I bought a "new" XJR1300 from them in June 2012, £8000 reduced from £9500. I kept asking all the salesmen why it was cheap, and the excuse they repeatedly gave me was that they get given bikes by Yamaha to sell. If they don't sell the bikes after 6 months, they must pay Yamaha for the bikes and are still burdened with selling them on to the public. This XJR had hence allegedly been sat in the showroom for almost 6 months and they wanted to get rid of it because otherwise they'd have to pay Yamaha for the bike, and still have it in their showroom.

I squeezed for more, but they weren't giving me any more reasons why. I accepted, and purchased this "2012" bike.

After a few months I eventually noticed online that the 2012 XJRs didn't have my own bike's pain scheme. Neither did the 2013 bikes. Neither did the 2011 bikes. However, the 2010 XJR1300s did have my paint scheme.

West London Yamaha sold me a 2010 bike, with a 2012 plate, and had been lying to me the entire time until purchase, telling me it was a 2012 bike. I contacted them trying to remain as kind and reasonable as possible, only to have them telling me "I'm sure you would have been told" (well chaps, I would either be happy with a 2010 bike for £8000 and buy it, or not! I wouldn't come back complaining if I already knew). I refuted all their silly excuses until it boiled down to their last, final bout as to why I should have known it was a 2010 bike. "It says it's a 2010 bike on your invoice". Here it is:

See the "10"? Apparently, that is how I'm meant to know that the bike I was told is a 2012 model, is actually 2010. Ignore the label on the bike in the showroom which advertised it as "2012". Ignore the salesman standing next to me constantly telling me about the brand-new "2012" bike and specifications. I can tell you all that discovering this after giving them £8000 which I earnt on top of University studies, working at £6 per hour, is excruciatingly upsetting. This "10" was the only thing meant to wholly make me aware it was secretly a 2010 bike I was buying.
Their final comments stood along the lines of "well, what do you want us to do about it?" to which I can't see me getting anywhere.

Yamaha customer services themselves showed no sympathy, telling me they "know the guys at West London Yamaha" and almost politely told me they don't give a ****. I made several calls to Yamaha customer services and felt like a powerless piece of sh*t with no leg to stand on every time.

As if that wasn't enough. Before all this emerged, on the day that I was picking-up my bike, I had to sign and complete the usual paperwork. Unfortunately for the salesman, I actually read the paperwork. He handed me a paper, and literally said, word for word: "And sign this to say that you've seen it". "What? Sign to say I've seen a piece of paper?". "Yes Sir, just sign at the bottom to say you've seen it". I proceeded to examine the page, which turned out to be the pre-delivery checklist. Things like testing suspension, making sure all electronics are working, check the tyre pressures are correct, fill the engine with oil, check the brakes et cetera. To my amazement, every box was ticked, all the way to the final "Pre-delivery test drive completed", where the dealer takes the bike out for a few miles to make sure everything works and the bike is road-worthy. Now, this would be fine, except, he had not taken the bike out. Nor had the bike had half of the checks done- it was still in the garage, having the checks completed.

Again, to cut a long story short; I refused to sign until he at least did the test-ride for me. He rolled his eyes, left to wait in the garage until they were finished with the other checks, did the ride, and came back inciting me to sign. Their reasoning was that "the mechanic had been there for over 10 years and knew what he was doing". So what? Even if you're going to lie and not properly complete the checklist in order, at least wait until you're finished to tell me to sign! I asked before I came to pick up if the Ohlins suspension on the bike could be tweaked for someone of 90kg. I had to ask thrice more in person before it was done. When finally on the bike, ready to drive away, the clutch lever was angled differently to the brake lever. I asked for this to be adjusted, the mechanic came outside and corrected it, and when I thanked him, he rolled his eyes, sighed, and walked back in without looking at me.

So, needless to say, it was the worst purchase of my life, and the most upsetting experience I've ever had when buying something. Please just take this as a word of warning. Spread this as much as you like. I don't know how long they've been treating customers like this, but they should not be allowed to continue. I definitely will encourage people to never use that dealership, and will never buy anything from Yamaha every again. I hope you all do the same so perhaps they'll realise none of this is acceptable.
Old 23-03-13, 04:58 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: West London Yamaha

It is a 10 model registered in 2012, so it is a '12 registered bike. Did you not HPI check it prior to buying it?

BMW F800ST

Last edited by DJ123; 23-03-13 at 05:12 PM.
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-13, 05:45 PM   #3
Spank86

Is there a difference between the 10s and the 12s?
Old 23-03-13, 06:12 PM   #4
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
Is there a difference between the 10s and the 12s?
In value, yes. You also have the concern that an engine that has not been turned over for two years may have dried out seals that may fail sooner than expected. Resale-wise it's a 2010 model year and also worth a bit less as a consequence.

In terms of HPI it's not usual to do one for brand new vehicles. Their use is mainly to see if there has been accident damage or outstanding finance.

Allan - go and have a chat with your local CAB.
Old 23-03-13, 06:28 PM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Yes CAB and trading standards.I suspect they will back you up and you could take the case all the way.
I have bought two new bikes and never HPId them.I doubt many people would and it would not be deemed reasonable in law to need to HPI a new vehicle.These sharp practices are still rife in the motorcycle selling world,just like they used to be in car sales.The new car market had to clean up its act due to public pressure but it seems action is still needed among bike retailers.Id go for my money back in full.
Old 23-03-13, 06:45 PM   #6
Redmist

I sympathise with the situation BUT just proves, it it sounds too good to be true....

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-13, 08:38 PM   #7
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
In value, yes. You also have the concern that an engine that has not been turned over for two years may have dried out seals that may fail sooner than expected. Resale-wise it's a 2010 model year and also worth a bit less as a consequence.
I mean an actual change.
Old 23-03-13, 08:52 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Bottom line is they misrepresented the goods,knowing full well what they were doing,and knowing full well the buyer probably would not know that the goods were not what they seemed to be.Now if this had been a bank selling payment protection,or an insurance company selling inappropriate ill health cover there would be a scandal followed by full repayments.Why not the same for a cowboy Yamaha dealer?
Old 23-03-13, 09:50 PM   #9
Runako

As BB said, and you should have taken legal advice. In fact you still can if you want to pursue it as you have 6 years in which to make a claim. Either contact Trading Standards or send me a PM, although I suspect you intend to chalk this one up to a bad experience.
Old 23-03-13, 09:53 PM   #10
Runako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Id go for my money back in full.
Not entitled to money back in full (technical reasons) but is entitled to the (perceived) difference in value.