SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 05-08-15, 09:14 PM   #231
Kenzie

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

Doh, just realised I stuck the framing grid upside down on the 72E. Luckily it hadn't fully dried yet.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 09:05 PM   #232
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

DOH!

I have been trying to learn about the technical stuff - I was never taught and frankly have always relied on built-in meters to save my miserable ass. Today I was trying to take a picture of a combine harvester in the sun, which I didn't manage as it turned around half-way down the field and I had to get to work, but I have been pondering on exposure. Not of my bits.

Using the Pocket Light Meter app, which is highly lauded, I've found the differences with my various cameras, which correlated with age (i.e. technology). Two newer Pentax SLRs match it very well. Older K2 with an older type of meter cell tends to overexpose half a stop, up to a full stop in bright light. My older 60s rangefinders with selenium cell do the same but almost two stops over in bright light sometimes. Maybe no bad thing as with their type of meters, picking out lowlights to meter for is difficult to impossible. It was one of these that I was using to judge the metering today, to use to set my rollfilm camera. Anyway it came out one stop brighter than sunny f16 would predict. So I started poking around...

http://rogerandfrances.com/subscript...xpo%20neg.html
Long, but interesting. If you are short of time or attention then read the bit at the top about excellent exposure, then skip to the bottom and read from Sunny f16 onwards, it'll only take a few minutes. So my f11 wasn't that far out after all. Also this has a very handy table:
http://rogerandfrances.com/subscript...expoguide.html
I've always been a bit at seat with unmetered exposure, but am getting there. Hope this helps someone! Am just finishing a 35mm film with some experimentation with fill flash, will post the results if there is interest?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 05:49 PM   #233
Kenzie

Had six rolls developed today. Here are a few from the OM10

Old 09-08-15, 06:22 PM   #234
Kenzie

Post them up! How is everyone else getting on?

Sent from my Kindle Fire
Old 09-08-15, 08:07 PM   #235
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Putting my 35mm roll from the Contessa in tomorrow for printing. Only on no.5 of 12 for the Ikonta. Soon enough!
Old 11-08-15, 08:50 PM   #236
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Finally got my ass on Flickr and scanned a few of the last film
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133726...57657126557645
This is the Poundland Fujifilm ISO200 24exp. I was a bit paranoid about underexposing so I went a bit too far the other way. A few had hazy patches where the exposure was too much - the bike in the hallway I expected though as this was part of the idea. It seems to tolerate a little underexposure though, unlike the Superia ISO400 I tried before. I think I saw a similar haze on Kenzie's which I took to be lens flare, which did seem a bit odd.

Re. fill flash, see the three bike photos. The ambient one is approximately the sunny f16 exposure, but using f5.6. The brightest one has a flash pointing straight at it (can't bounce outside) and same settings - for the ISO, 1/500 f5.6 was the aperture setting for auto flash use, hence the first pic at f5.6. As you can see, it's a bit much. The better one uses the same EV but changed to 1/125 and f11 and the same flash; the smaller aperture brings the flash down a bit so it just fills some darker areas. The same settings without flash gave a pic in ambient light the same as the first one i.e. equivalent exposure (as you'd expect). I spent a while reading about fill flash and started trying it so hope this helps! Also the ISO setting on the flash does nothing on cheap ones, it's just a ready reckoner for aperture - changing this "setting" on the flash made no difference.
Old 13-08-15, 05:34 PM   #237
Kenzie

Has anyone tried caffenol-c as a developer? I just shot an expired roll through the Zenit and was going to give it a whirl. Its C41 but that will just mean black and white at the end.
Old 13-08-15, 07:21 PM   #238
Kenzie

Just read in AP that Boots are stocking HP 5 Plus 120 film and FP 4 Plus 36 exposure

Sent from my Kindle Fire
Old 15-08-15, 04:44 PM   #239
Kenzie

First attempt at developing with Caffenol-C. 9 mins at 20c (Nescafe, Soda crystals and vit c powder) with Ilford Stop and Fix.

Slight tweak to remove vignetting introduced by my scanner. My local Boots in town only had 35mm film.

Last edited by Kenzie; 15-08-15 at 04:48 PM.
Old 16-08-15, 04:16 PM   #240
Kenzie

Just put the Helios 44M onto the AE-1. The Canon had an old Prinzflex lens with an M42 adapter. Will be interesting to see what comes out.

Last edited by Kenzie; 16-08-15 at 04:17 PM.