SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-06-19, 10:03 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Header at 23k miles

3 years of polishing/time wasting. Once the shine has been achieved it is easy to maintain but would be impossible without my massive mudflap. I had to remove it briefly because it fouled my new, correct profile, front tyre. One journey without it and a couple of puddles soon had me modifying and refitting it.

How it started:

What's interesting (to me, at least) is that the link pipe that runs under the right hand cover seems to have more of a texture and, as yet, doesn't look as smooth as the header, although this pic doesn't show it that well.

The various visible screws are still covered in their winter grease but any I've missed have corroded quite quickly.

The cat will polish up but I haven't bothered with the pre-cat pipe since it's too difficult to reach. I've half-heartedly polished the rear header but this pic makes it look better than it is in reality, it soon loses its shine (hotter maybe?)

Overall, it's held up fairly well considering it rarely gets washed. The leading edge of the gear lever shaft, the gear lever itself, the ABS junction under the headlamp have suffered corrosion plus various screws I forgot to grease. I average about 8000 miles/year, the bike will be 3 years old in 2 weeks time.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 02:02 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Header at 23k miles

Shiny!

I Harpic my pipes but don't polish them (I prefer the satin silver look). The front header down to the first clamp goes gold within a couple of rides ...

Yes, the gear lever and front ABS splitter on mine have corroded too, and the banjo fittings on the left front caliper (the fittings on the right front are still very shiny for some reason).
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 06:05 PM   #3
Othen

That is wonderful, but I can’t help thinking you should get out a bit more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-19, 06:24 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Never polished my 2016 AL7 pipes since new, in fact I sprayed them with high temp black paint so that they blended into black frame better, to me the shiny bits of exhaust under the bike especially stood out far too much and looked a bit strange....

Some pictures here. Towards bottom of page 5 http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...tlights&page=5. of after I sprayed heat shield and CAT plus pipes under the bike..

Also sprayed the shiny heat shield bit on silencer can because to my eyes it looked strange just stuck onto black silencer can, looks like I have saved a fortune on Max strength Harpic.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 02-06-19 at 07:07 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 06:37 PM   #5
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
That is wonderful, but I can’t help thinking you should get out a bit more
if that's the same as "get a life", I suppose you're right. All the polishing was done by hand with Solvol, no acid cleaners.

When I started riding all bikes had chrome exhausts and I suppose it's conditioned me to thinking that "proper" motorcycles have shiny pipes. I look at bikes with beautiful paintwork and then see corroded (car- like?) headers and it ruins the effect for me. Don't get me started on the abomination of wrapped exhausts...

Last edited by Seeker; 02-06-19 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-06-19, 06:41 PM   #6
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
if that's the same as "get a life", I suppose you're right.

When I started riding all bikes had chrome exhausts and I suppose it's conditioned me to thinking that "proper" motorcycles have shiny pipes. I look at bikes with beautiful paintwork and then see corroded (car- like?) headers and it ruins the effect for me. Don't get me started on the abomination of wrapped exhausts...

... it was meant in a humorous way

I’m a Triumph man at heart (although I do like Suzukis and have two of them), so I’m used to (and like) blue exhausts - that is just the way things are supposed to be in this universe.

Old 02-06-19, 06:50 PM   #7
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... it was meant in a humorous way
...and that's how it was taken

Honda used to double skin their exhausts to stop them going blue. BMW air cooled boxers seemed to blue their exhausts noticeably which always seemed at odds with their (alleged) pursuit of quality.
Old 02-06-19, 07:57 PM   #8
Craig380
Mega Poster

[QUOTE=SV650rules;3103813looks like I have saved a fortune on Max strength Harpic.[/QUOTE]

I'm only a quarter of the way through the bottle I got a couple of years ago for a quid from B&M Bargains
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 09:03 PM   #9
Othen

Default Header at 23k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
...and that's how it was taken

Honda used to double skin their exhausts to stop them going blue. BMW air cooled boxers seemed to blue their exhausts noticeably which always seemed at odds with their (alleged) pursuit of quality.

Triumph riders treat the blue exhausts as a sort of badge of honour - all Triumphs turn the pipes blue within a few hundred miles, generally we like it like that.

SV 650 exhausts aren’t very shiny to start with, so turning blue isn’t so much of an issue. Well done with your bike, but I wouldn’t commit so much time to any of my bikes.

See below - lovely blue pipes:

Last edited by Othen; 02-06-19 at 09:06 PM.