SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 07-02-05, 10:24 PM   #1
scooby2102

Default IAM Training...Is It Worth Doing ????

Anybody done the IAM training course ?

Where did you do the training, assessment etc ?

Was thinking of signing up but still undecided after reading the posts on the MCN forum around Dec time (was a really serious and hotly debated subject with loads of posts).

Some were for the training, others viewed it as a kind of closed shop type of set up run by peeps full of their own self importance with no consistancy in the training or assessment therefore you could be unlucky to get a narky know it all full of sh^te who could ride eff all (please dont take exception to the above if any of you are instructors or members, remember, I am quoting !).

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated as I would definitely like to do some advanced training but just need some views from you guys/gals out there before I decide if the IAM is the way to go.

Cheers
Scooby2102
Old 07-02-05, 10:28 PM   #2
Anonymous

hiya scoobs

well im a qualified observer with the glasgow north section of iam

dean is waiting to do his test

there are a few dozy old buggars in the group but the majority of the guys are great. we have about 65 bike members who turn up regularly.

the course starts again in April. we meet at 630 on wednesday nights at macdonalds on crowe road. we also have curry nights thru the winter and sunday runs once a month. the course costs £85 which includes all your books, unlimited training and test fee. well worth it but then im a bit biased. really improved my riding no end. been riding almost 4 years now been amember of iam for almost 4 years. joined 6 weeks after passing my test. plus you get discount on your insurance
Old 08-02-05, 05:11 AM   #3
a1a

For the uninformed what does (iam) mean? Is that like a motorcycle saftey or advanced motorcycle riding course?
Cheers, Richard
Old 08-02-05, 07:09 AM   #4
pegasus
Mega Poster

another option is bikesafe...which is run by the local police authorities...check out www.bikesafe.co.uk

pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-05, 07:29 AM   #5
K

RoSPA do a course too apparently.

I've just joined up with the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motoring) and consider any training to be worthwhile as you will always gain something from it - and that can only be a good thing.

I'm actually quite nervous about taking my first observed ride as I'm dreading what stupid bad habits I've accumilated over 18 years. Nutty's got the right attitude, do it as soon as you can before the rot sets in!
Old 08-02-05, 07:42 AM   #6
Patch

I am doing it at the moment, in fact I am just waiting for my test. see my IAM Diary for my experiences
Old 08-02-05, 06:35 PM   #7
a1a

Very interesting real world information folks and it appears the instructors are very professional. I believe everyone would benefit from attending.
Here's another dumb question do they have any type of advanced training in Britain for the cager's.
It has always been my feeling that if you drive a motor car. Part of the test should include riding pillion on a motorcycle. Because motocyclist do not get any respect or leeway from cagers.
Cheers, Richard
Old 08-02-05, 06:43 PM   #8
K

Yeah... with the IAM!
Old 08-02-05, 09:49 PM   #9
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

should be doing mine this year, getting it for my b'day hopefully.
apparently i really need it, dont know what was meant by that comment
dirtydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-05, 10:40 PM   #10
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog
should be doing mine this year, getting it for my b'day hopefully.
apparently i really need it, dont know what was meant by that comment

want me to explain it to you AGAIN