SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-09-07, 05:26 PM   #1
Whitty

Default Rear shock need service/regas after 2 year?

I recently called at a race suspension shop that does a while u wait set up for your body weight and riding style etc. He made various adjustments front and rear lifting after bouncing it up and down etc. He then told me the rear shock needed a rebuild and regas as it felt a bit "dead" and he had done the best he could with it. Does this sound right or was he touting for work? It still feels to be doing something and not springing up like zebedee. I have a K3 model gixxer thou but I know some of U fit gixxer bits and he told me nearly all shockers need it after about 2 years!
Old 09-09-07, 06:30 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rear shock need service/regas after 2 year?

If it feels alright to you, then that's all good, but all shocks go off over time and use. Mileage more than anything, I reckon. They tend not to feel bad since it happens so gradually that you just adapt to it... Whether yours actually needs it or not, who knows? A good method is to ride a newer one, if you can.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 07:04 PM   #3
Whitty

It has just done 10K. I have done 4k of them in dry weather but on bumpy yorkshire roads which is where I am getting thrown about abit.I think the last owner was very steady judging by its condition and the tyres.
Old 09-09-07, 07:33 PM   #4
Ceri JC

I noticed deterioration in my SV's stock shock at about 12K. By 22K it was starting to really misbehave 2 up. By 26K it got to the stage where more than nearly crashed due to it pogoing about as I was cornering. As Northwind says, I think a lot of people don't really notice the deterioration (I know I didn't really clock any change between 12K->22K) as it is so gradual you (unconciously) alter the way you ride to deal with it. I didn't realise how bad it had become till I replaced it with a new shock and how much better the new one felt.