SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-02-09, 10:02 PM   #1
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Lets hear it for Yuasa and Optimate.

One of my "These products rule" posts

Yuasa YTZ12S battery... Got this almost exactly 3 years ago after my OEM one kicked the bucket. This is the newer, high-output battery, which is great for a commuter since the extra kick really helps turn it over. The standard battery always seemed to struggle with a sump of heavy cold oil, you could hear it toil. It was quite pricey, about £20 more than a standard one, but it's still been worth it.

In its time I've completely flattened it probably nearly a dozen times, through leaving lights on, forgetting to unplug heated gloves, having reg/recs fail, etc etc, and each time I think it must be dead- it never usually even gets a gentle recovery, I just jump the bike off my jumpstart pack and ride on, and every time it recovers.

This time, was a bit different though- I'd had a loose battery connection it turns out, which meant it was getting no charge. I jumpstarted it a couple of times, but then on a ride home first the lights started flickering, then the engine started sputtering... Just barely made it home, and it was dead as soon as it stopped, not even enough power to flash an indicator or to click the starter relay. Poor thing. 5V across the terminals.

So, whacked it on the optimate... Nothing doing, it desulphated for 24 hours then went to "error". Try again, same thing. Try again, same thing. Now shows 12V across the terminals but as soon as I hit the ignition it drops to 5V, and still won't so much as flash an indicator.

So, I give up... It's snowing anyway so I park the bike for a couple of days, and cycle to work, just left it on charge. Came back tonight, and it's showing "error". Ah well. But decided to crank it just in case, and it fired first time! Not just recovered, but strong as ever.

So, let's have a big hand for Yuasa, it's done more cold starts than most bike batteries will stand, been flattened far too many times, and still comes back for more. And for Optimate, reanimating the dead. Woo! These batteries are £75 now, that's £75 I can spend on hookers!
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 10:12 PM   #2
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Lets hear it for Yuasa and Optimate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
In its time I've completely flattened it probably nearly a dozen times, through leaving lights on, forgetting to unplug heated gloves, having reg/recs fail, etc etc, and each time I think it must be dead- it never usually even gets a gentle recovery, I just jump the bike off my jumpstart pack and ride on, and every time it recovers.
hmm I have a battery like this too....its been there for 2 years and it refuses to die, and like yours has been jumped more times than.....well it just has. Its been jumped on Suzy, its been flattened on Dave, and still it lives. But it isn't one of those...well I don't think it is.
You can bet now I haven't been near it for three weeks that it'll need jumping again....but then again

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 10:33 PM   #3
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

I've got a completely dead battery that I got with the tzr. It currently runs a total loss electrical system so I'm guessing this totally drained the battery. I've put it on the optimate a few times and it's like it didn't even know a battery was connected so didn't bother trying to charge it. No lights or anything
Do you think it would charge if I got one of those no nonsense car battery chargers that just charges it and doesn't think about it?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 10:38 PM   #4
zsv650

i think my curvy had a yuasa on it was a strong battery it alway's cranked her up every morning trouble free.
Old 05-02-09, 10:48 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Do you think it would charge if I got one of those no nonsense car battery chargers that just charges it and doesn't think about it?
Dunno. It might just blow up, drench you in acid then burn your house down
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 10:52 PM   #6
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Dunno. It might just blow up, drench you in acid then burn your house down
ahhh.............that sounds em.................bad

I'll just stick it behind the garage on an extension lead then
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 12:16 AM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Well it's got 3 options really hasn't it. Give it a try
Old 09-02-09, 08:48 PM   #8
MrMessy

Default Re: Lets hear it for Yuasa and Optimate.

If a battery is completly discharged the Optimate will generally not charge it up but cuts itself off. I have an old car battery charger that just bangs power in, this puts charge in, then I put the Optimate on to stop overcharging.
MrMessy is offline   Reply With Quote