SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-02-09, 09:36 PM   #1
SV-net

Default Work Rights - Contract Question

Is it law that all employers should give their staff a contract? Myself and all my workmates dont have and have never even discussed one at all. I have been at the same company since 1992! Should I ask for one or will I be shooting myself in the foot.
Old 24-02-09, 09:38 PM   #2
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Default Re: Worke Rights - Contract Question

you should have a contract of employment yes.. request a wriiten one--... you need a job description too... however, present climate- do you want to be seen as a troublemaker/maverick if you feel secure anyway... not having a contract may work in your favour at some point if you can prove your years of employment..

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ns/DG_10027905

Last edited by Quiff Wichard; 24-02-09 at 09:42 PM.
Quiff Wichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-09, 09:39 PM   #3
G
Mega Poster

Its a funny one that......I worked at a previous employer and they started to annoy me. I never signed a contract so knew I had basic rights but that they had no real power over me.

In the end I left without notice due to having no contract.....was good stuff.
Old 24-02-09, 09:49 PM   #4
Rich
Mega Poster

When i started my job we agreed upon a verbal contract and then as a few more people were employed a written one was given to us to sign. I didn't agree with a few things on it so i never signed it and i still have it gathering dust. There was no problem before i had one and there still isn't now.. The problem with a written contract i find it's always in favour of the employer,, well it was in my case so we agreed to stick to my verbal one. Swings and roundabouts, thats my contract!!
Old 24-02-09, 09:53 PM   #5
SV-net

I see it from both angles really, I dont want to rock it and wreck it for myself. But they are starting to impose rules, new jobs and extended duties over and above what I have been doing for many years. I do get paid more than before though. For the meantime I will sit tight, work my **** off and see how things pan out.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 24-02-09, 09:57 PM   #6
Ed

You're entitled to a written summary of terms of employment within 13 weeks of starting.