SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 11-04-07, 09:04 PM   #1
Demonz

Default Local Beach/Campsite Recommendations

Needed some local advice if poss - am planning to take the kiddies camping this weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations on beaches/campsites around New Forest or maybe Isle of Wight. I dont feel like driving far and these are only a couple of hours away. Dont know much about either areas - open to any other local spots.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 12-04-07, 09:36 AM   #2
tee jey

Default Re: Local Beach/Campsite Recommendations

The forestry commision has several campsites in the forest but they are expensive for what they are. however, all are located in the park with direct access to the forest. The best if you are self contained i.e. have your own toilet is Denny Wood (cheapest) between Lynhurst and Beaulieu, if you require facilities use Roundhill on the road out of Brockenhurst towards Beaulieu.

If you want full facilities, swim pools, kids play ground, golf etc go to Bashley Park at New Milton or even better is Sandy Ball near Fordingbridge. I've used all these sites regularly and they are OK. Have a good weekend.

Old 12-04-07, 10:05 AM   #3
Bluesteel

I used to live on the Island, it's a nice place for a family holiday.

Check the ferry's though, because they get very booked up. They're also furiously expensive, but children love it as you can go up on deck and it's like you're taking them abroad.

Places I'd reccomend on the Island are St Helens, Ryde, Whitecliff Bay. Compton Bay is also good for body boarding, but is a shingle beach so not so good for adults.

Stay away from the really touristy places like Sandown and Shanklin: they're really tacky.

There are some great places in-land too. Let me know if you want more info...
Old 12-04-07, 11:28 AM   #4
Demonz

Cheers for that Guys - can't beat a bit of local knowledge. Since the sun is out we are going with IOW - Whitecliff sounded nice so staying there. Guess I wont get to see the antics on Sunday Bluesteel! but have fun anyway!!