SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-07-10, 02:47 PM   #1
Lost@Home

Default Increasing BHP of Pointy SV?

Hello everyone,

I've recently bought a SV650 SK3, only mod I know of is a Carbon Co Can Exhaust other than than its just mini flashers and what not.

I'd like to know what the options are for getting a bit more BHP out of the bike. I'm not looking to spend mega bucks, somewhere between £500 and £1000 maybe.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Off topic I know but...
I also have a Cat C written off (Front end smack, twisted forks cracked fairing etc) K4 that's going to be up for sale soon if I can't find a use for the parts myself. Let me know if your interested in the whole thing or parts!
Old 21-07-10, 02:50 PM   #2
bengrrr

Default Re: Increasing BHP on SV

Not sure much on the BHP increase but surly that moneys best spent on a good can and Power Commander?
Old 21-07-10, 02:51 PM   #3
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost@Home View Post
I'd like to know what the options are for getting a bit more BHP out of the bike. I'm not looking to spend mega bucks, somewhere between £500 and £1000 maybe.
1. Sell it, take the proceeds and the £1k

2. Buy an older R1

3. ???

4. Profit

(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-10, 03:02 PM   #4
Lost@Home

lol I'm not ready for an R1, I was planning on a R6 for my next bike though.

TBH I don't even know what a power commander is or what it actually does. I'm just looking for anything that will give the bike a bit more power but I don't really know what the options are.

I've been told SV650's have a bhp of 71 and Bandit 650's are around 83bhp. I recently had a 650 Bandit as a courtesy and it did seem to be more powerful, I prefer the Sv as a bike and would just like to try bring the power level up to that of a Bandit.
Old 21-07-10, 03:03 PM   #5
cb1000rsteve

Just save your money. No mod is that good.
If you really want to spend ya money maybe make it breathe better with a filter and fuel right with a dyno & PCIII. If you really want lots more power get a gixxer or something simialar. The SV is built to a budget and part of that budget will be the suspension brakes etc. 'power is nothing without control'
Old 21-07-10, 03:05 PM   #6
MR UKI (1)

Swop it for the Bandit
Old 21-07-10, 03:13 PM   #7
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

save the cash, my sv is getting suspension mods and a exhaust at most.

if thinking mods bmc air filter and a re-jet

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-10, 03:20 PM   #8
independentphoto

How bad are the lowers on your K4? Badly cracked etc to the extent that you'd be ashamed to ask anything other than postage? I'm currently looking for a spare set that will be held together with high vis reflective material anyway, so condition can be pretty bad.

TBH, Unless you're intent on having an accident or losing yoour license, I'd stick with all the lovely torque of the SV. For a wee bit more acceleration, you could change the final gearing via different chain and sprockets.

All the best,
Garry
Old 21-07-10, 03:25 PM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost@Home View Post
I wouldnt bother. Spend your money on suspension upgrades and that way you'll get more from the bhp you already have.

otherwise Full exhaust system, some kind of performance filter, and then use a power commander to remap the fueling will give you a hanfull more bhp. But its alot of money for not much more bhp.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-10, 03:56 PM   #10
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Basic cheap suspension mods and putting both bike and rider on a diet are cost effective as is lowering the gearing a bit.Engine wise I wouldnt know,but informed opinion seems to be you spend lots and get very little.85 BHP is gettable,but you would need a big bore kit and a deep wallet.