SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-12-07, 06:46 PM   #11
600+

Default Re: Tom Tom or Garmin? Your Comments Please...

Garmin has maps that can be updated BUT not on a daily basis. It's whenever GARMIN brings out an update.

tbh with you I seriously doubt it that a daily map update will have that many updates to do unless it is that crap......which again it's not
Old 09-12-07, 09:14 PM   #12
SV-net

I asked the muppet on the sales desk in Halfords and he did not know if Garmin could update its maps. Or if I had to pay for the updates if it could.
Crikey whatever happened to staff training???
Old 09-12-07, 09:27 PM   #13
ooger

Before this totally derails, I've got a tomtom ONE GB V2 in the car, and its perfect.

That much so that I'd not look for a Garmin or any other brand if I needed a replacement.

If you know how to use the internet carefully, theres some freebies to be had too. Like...US/EUR maps and stuff, so i hear

Right, back onto the derail.

The best thing I have to say about Halfords is that when you've got a flat battery outside of their store, the people behind the car parts section will lend you one of those mega-battery jump starters to get going again. Just don't ask them anything too complex, like about stuff they sell, or when they're open.
Old 09-12-07, 10:17 PM   #14
wheelnut

My Panasonic Strada was out of stock so I bought a TomTom One XL Europe. It works fine in the pub, but I havent been anywhere yet

Im going to let it take me to France tomorrow. I know where Im going, lets see if Doris does.
Old 10-12-07, 09:25 AM   #15
600+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-net View Post
I asked the muppet on the sales desk in Halfords and he did not know if Garmin could update its maps. Or if I had to pay for the updates if it could.
No you don't need to pay for updates with the garmin. They come out -> download them and that's it.

Since you are spending the cash I'd go for something you can use on the bike as well i.e. zumo 550
Old 10-12-07, 12:00 PM   #16
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-net View Post
Halfwits informed me that they don't make a bike Tomtom any more. Till I pointed out the Rider 2 had only been out a couple of months. He then changed his story to they never carried them. I pointed out I bought my Rider there. He then said they used to carry them, but didn't any more.

I ****ing hate liars.
Old 10-12-07, 12:07 PM   #17
gettin2dizzy

I think the Navman range are meant to be the best traffic wise . Pretty good value
Old 10-12-07, 12:22 PM   #18
skint

TomTom all the way.

All my surveyors have them and all think they are great. So easy to use and mostly reliable - but note - they are not a substitute for planning a journey!

Mrs Skint Aka Kamakazy also uses TomTom (as do all her colleagues across UK) - again considered top stuff. Uses hers everyday travelling South/southeast and Wales.

I have the 520 similar to 720 - excellent. The price you have is very good.

Never used Garmin to be fair but did have NavMan originally (5 years ago)which I hated.
Old 10-12-07, 12:29 PM   #19
skint

On the derail issue - hear what you all say about Halfords. great shop if you know what you're about!

Only prob with TomTom, their customer service is pants! They were showing Rider on website. Their site even had a link to buy from their online shop but it didn't work so I asked how I could get one, two answers; it wasn't available and didn't know foolow links to stores! When I contacted stores including curry's they said they never stocked it! - Wots that all about?
Old 15-12-07, 09:49 PM   #20
SV-net

Yeh tell me about it.
I went to a different store and asked tomtom or garmin to the dudes on the desk and they practically had a full scale barny over it.

I hear the Garmin is not clear to understand but the tomtom is very clear. This is quite an important point.
Also I hear that the garmins FM transmitter is not too great. But no feedback on the tomtom yet....................