SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-12-11, 11:07 PM   #21
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: How not to ride on the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Chris, before coming out with smart ass remarks, Is it possible i was commenting on skeetlys video?

I had made my own mind of my original video, the question mark was asking other people's views, I know how I feel about tw4ts riding like that on public roads, as these videos prove, they normally end up with a crash or worse.
Thought it was aimed at me as it appeared below my post, but anyway...

So you've never done anything like that at all? Ever? Considering their skill set and yours, which would change where the equal amount of risk would lie... With so many people it's either jealousy that they're not that good, and they take just as many risks just slower and badly, or they've forgotten what they're like themselves on occasion. Without sin* and casting first stones and all that...

It's not big and it's not clever, but it is fun and I bet anyone with a pair of b*llocks has had a "teeheehee" moment and cracked the throttle more than they should have.

*I make no claim to be without sin. Or with skill.
Old 12-12-11, 11:21 PM   #22
skeetly

Sorry folks just a bit of banter
Its very dangerous to ride like that.
They are hamming it up though. It's not liek they coudln't do it properly if they wanted to. They're talented lunatics.
No. They are just lunatics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s97QN5MU-pE
skeetly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 11:25 PM   #23
Specialone

The video you posted ive seen before ages ago, and yes, they are pr*cks as well imo.

Wish i had the talent to even think of riding like that, which i dont.

I like living too much, something young people like yourself and others ( and me when i was your age) dont appear to appreciate or think about.

Even if was talented enough to ride like that, i would do it on the track not on public roads, it was pure luck nobody else was involved in all those videos.

I rode in France in September the fastest ive ever rode and bloody enjoyed it big time, i rodewell over the speed limit but not like them, it was always in 'safe' places and i certainly made sure i didnt run wide on blind corners.
I accept im never gonna be a quick rider, but hopefully ill live longer for it.
Old 12-12-11, 11:38 PM   #24
skeetly

Oh I dunno. I think Frosty must be nearly 40 now.
He's still not as old as me
Its really hard to know what they can see with their eyes when you are looking out of the helmet cameras.
Distance and field of view gets distorted.
Frosty did end up breaking his neck or something at some point so you might have a point though
skeetly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-11, 12:01 AM   #25
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

There's less pixels in that main video that years i've been on earth. I think the riding was cracking. Dangerous for sure. But who doesn't love a bit of danger. I've heard mothers with prams and OAP's love it especially.
Old 13-12-11, 09:41 AM   #26
plowsie

Haven't seen that video in time (OP)...quality. Yeah, it's a little dangerous, nonetheless, brilliant.
Old 13-12-11, 10:24 AM   #27
Owenski

Proves the point doesnt it, doesnt matter how much abilitiy you have. Push it to the edge enough times and you WILL deck it.
Excellent tallents but just further proof that the road isnt the place for it.
Old 13-12-11, 01:59 PM   #28
Balky001
Mega Poster

I wouldn't ride like that now (haha, not on the HD!) but certainly had some mental times in the past (maybe not quite as extreme but then I wasn't as able)

I can't condone it as its bad and stupid but I can't condemn it either. I've been stupid on a bike quite a lot. Made me want to get for a ride though.
Old 13-12-11, 03:18 PM   #29
-Ralph-

Its not just a lack of 'advanced' road riding skills that the second rider in this video seems to be lacking. It's stuff like backing off a line on a corner, then running wide it seems because hes worried about his head being so close to the vertical embankment. There are no vertical embankments to worry about on a race track. There are no cars, bollards, kerbs, junctions on a race track. It seems as if he only thought about it when it became a poblem, then adjusted his line to compensate. Any experienced road rider with any level of training would instinctively have taken a slightly wider line in the first place and given themselves more room without even thinking about it, they are just used to having to consider how much room they need. 'Advanced' skills aside, these guys are simply attuned to very different surroundings. Thats what I mean when I say track mentality doesnt transfer to the road. The road presents a completely different set of problems, regardlss of whether you have all the IAM ROSPA qualifications, or whether your an old timer that has never even had to sit a bike test.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 13-12-11 at 03:34 PM.
Old 13-12-11, 09:35 PM   #30
Stuuk1

'frosty's crashed'...

Frosty is an idiot.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.217298,0.245238
Member of the 1 litre club...