SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-08-09, 09:49 PM   #1
radicalry00

Unhappy Stripped a thread on one of radiator connections and now have a leak

I loosened a bolt connecting an electrical wire to my radiator today because I thought it was limiting the movement of the radiator as I wanted to change the front plug. I loosened the nut a little and it didnt seem to want to budge anymore so forgot that idea and managed to move the radiator without it.

I commenced in moving the radiator forwards to gain access to the front plug, changed it and then bolted all the bolts back on. However, now there is a leak on the nut I had earlier loosened on the radiator and a green liquid slowly leaks out upon starting the engine.

I have included a few photos of the nut I am talking about and wondered where I could get a replacement? Am I right in thinking it is the thermostat switch wire? Will I be able to replace just the nut or will I require an whole new part??

P.S: Yes I know I'm a complete plonker for not undoing the nut properly in the first place. I've totally messed up the thread on it and it won't tighten Really needed my bike for the morning but can't ride it with it leaking antifreeze like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00092-20090826-2215.jpg (122.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00090-20090826-2214.jpg (122.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00091-20090826-2214.jpg (126.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 26-08-09, 10:15 PM   #2
7755matt

Default Re: Stripped a thread on one of radiator connections and now have a leak

I would say its the fan switch yes, and it will need a new one as its a complete unit (is on cars and im still getting back to grips with bikes)
7755matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-09, 10:15 PM   #3
husky03
Mega Poster

Default Re: Stripped a thread on one of radiator connections and now have a leak

loosen it completely and try some ptfe tape around the threads(but checked you've not screwed the threads totally)
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-09, 10:18 PM   #4
Bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky03 View Post
loosen it completely and try some ptfe tape around the threads(but checked you've not screwed the threads totally)
+1
Old 26-08-09, 10:29 PM   #5
maclovin

hopefully the sensor is made of softer material than radiator (usual practice) and new sensor will sort it but if not you could helicoil it (about £35 per kit) but as a quick tempary fix ptfe tape may be ok (as last few posts ) depending on heat ?
Old 26-08-09, 10:44 PM   #6
DavieSV

first of all, try and see where the leak is coming from.

dry everything around the nut and restart the engine, keep a close eye on the nut and the joint with the radiator.

The torque you aplied to the nut could have cracked the connector on the radiator

If this is the case (I hope not) then no amount of PTFE tap will plug your gap and you may damage it beyond repair.
DavieSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-09, 08:17 AM   #7
Dicky Ticker

Very much doubt it is beyond repair,even if it means grinding off the old connection and brazing/soldering a similar size nut on to the radiator,that is providing it is the radiator thread you have stripped.Check the threads on the switch before you remove anything else and either use tape as a temp fix or buy a new switch.
Its not the end of the world and we all learn by making mistakes

Last edited by Dicky Ticker; 27-08-09 at 08:19 AM.
Old 29-08-09, 05:21 PM   #8
radicalry00

Still not had time to fix this as I have been working. A mate of mine said that I could use some "liquid metal" type stuff that would set solid and seal the nut. Would this be ok considering I don't really need to remove the wire again?

The other option is getting a mechanic over to heli coil the connection.
Old 30-08-09, 04:00 PM   #9
radicalry00

Just a quick update on this.

Had to grind the old fan sensor off today because it wouldn't loosen no matter what I tried and now part of the nut is still stuck into the thread of the radiator. Going to take the radiator to a local engineering place along with a new fan sensor that I've ordered and get them to re-thread it. Only problem is that the new fan sensor unit won't be here till next week

Getting there slowly but surely!