SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-09-10, 07:07 AM   #11
Stonesie

Default Re: Newbie saying HI

That's a problem, the more people I talk to the more opposing opinions I get, I do like the V twin noise and looking at the dyno charts the SV engine will suit me.

I drive my car on its low-mid torque usually and save the top end power for track days and Corsa-boy, I like to get a move on but don't like to feel like I'm having to wring its neck to do it... If that makes any sense.

Back a few years when I was doing a collage course one of the other lads had a yellow curvy SV, brand new at the time and he had lots of carb trouble with it so that and me preferring the look of the pointy S version I might settle on that, I think I'm going to have fun doing test rides when i get the mod 2 but might persiveer with the CG until the new year when bike prices come down a bit... Also I don't mind dropping the CG, if i drop a minter of an SV I would probably cry especially if it landed on my leg
Old 12-09-10, 07:14 AM   #12
kitkat

I had a yellow curvy and never had any problems despite living in scotland and going out in the rain on a daily basis. The SV is a great first bike, nice and light and very forgiving when you make a mistake
Old 12-09-10, 07:32 AM   #13
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
If your budget allows, get a pointy, they are far superior in every way and will start in the winter and not freeze.
Thats Poo, yellow curvy all though last winter, even ridden in the snow when the car was impounded, started every time.
I think carb version is easy to work on for general things, throttle balancing is easy, once you know how, even checked my own valve clearences without to much effort.
Once you pass, get what you like the look/feel of, but for support system don't think you will find any better than the folk on here and the bikes go bloody well to boot.
Old Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 02:16 PM   #14
davepreston

blandits are just that bland and uninteresting
thundercats weigh the same as the moon
sv no matter curvy or pointy sounds from what youve said will suit better to what you want
test ride a sv and the cbr then you see if you prefer il4 or v twin but again from what you said v twin i think you'll prefer

welcome and enjoy
Old 12-09-10, 02:25 PM   #15
Geodude
Mega Poster

Howdoo new bloke

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 04:15 PM   #16
Stonesie

Thanks for the warm welcome

Just got in from a day on a GS500, even my instructor says that he has had 4 SV650's and they're a great bike, the only other option he put forward was a Honda CB500.
Old 13-09-10, 12:30 AM   #17
muddi

Make a list of the bikes your interested in, then for now go and sit on them with hands on bars, feet on pegs etc etc just to get a 'feel' of how they sit with you and if you can move one around or at least push forwards and backwards to see how easy/heavy it is to move for when you have to get it in and out of garage/spaces etc etc.
I didn't go for a test ride before I got my SV, I just sat on a mates SV Thou and it fit ok so sussed out the 650 would be same height but is a tad slimmer so would feel even better - then drove few hundred miles when I found one that was the colour/mileage/price I wanted, heard it start up and said - I will have it!! even before I sat on her lol I just fell in love with the noise, and rode home with biggest grin on my face. got used to the riding position within 10 mins of getting on as I was used to a more upright position...

Sooooooo do a bit of research first, make sure you can sit on the bike ok, dunno how tall you are or how long your leg length is, but sometimes getting feet down can be an issue. make sure the riding position feels good, the bike feels light enough for you to move around etc - then see a bike you fall in love with and forget all the previous tips and say you will have it!! lol xx Best of luck with your tests etc and have fun looking around.
Old 13-09-10, 04:44 PM   #18
Stonesie

Mod 1 passed in the pouring rain
2 minors, 1 missed observation right at the end (really could kick myself for that) and I touched a white line on the U turn.

Mod 2 booked for the 1st of October...
Old 13-09-10, 04:50 PM   #19
Geodude
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonesie View Post
Mod 1 passed in the pouring rain
2 minors, 1 missed observation right at the end (really could kick myself for that) and I touched a white line on the U turn.

Mod 2 booked for the 1st of October...
Well done

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-10, 05:02 PM   #20
Cornish

welcome. good luck with the test. SV all the way