SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-02-24, 07:11 PM   #361
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Veg Plot.

Been struggling for motivation to get out and do some of the jobs, but today, after walking Mabel (in the rain....again ) I got out and cleared a few things off the list. Moved the mini greenhouse at the front to a sunnier spot, then sowed some stuff into pots and modules. Aubergines, cape gooseberries, and four different types of tomato. Aubergines and cape gooseberries are in the heated propagator, tomatoes are in the unheated propagator in the mini greenhouse.

I'll lift the pot of chilli seedlings out of the heated propagator soon and put them on a sunny window sill until it's warm enough to pot them on and put them in the big greenhouse.

I bought all my seed potatoes the other week; Colleen 1st early, Charlotte 2nd early, and Sunset maincrop. They're all sitting in eggboxes, chitting away on various window sills around the house.

The mixed, native species hedge I planted last year is all budding up now, and in the case of the hawthorn, has got small leaves on it. I'm keen to see what sort of growth it puts on this year, as it seems to have established very quickly.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-24, 07:27 PM   #362
redtrummy

Too wet, too cold for me. Saved a chilli plant from last year that has begun to bud, so it looks as if its survived ok. Got the bed sorted for onion sets and shallots but the ground is so sodden it seems too early to plant yet.There is a dozen cabbage plants in the greenhouse ready to plant out, I might heap up the soil abit and set them under a cloche soon. There has not been a lot of frosts so garden bugs could be a problem this year.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-24, 07:30 PM   #363
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Got the bed sorted for onion sets and shallots but the ground is so sodden it seems too early to plant yet.
Yep, my onion sets won't go in until March.
Old 24-03-24, 06:41 PM   #364
redtrummy

Well I have bunged in my shallots and onion sets in the sun today , the ground is still wet but the sets had started sprouting. That's all I have done this year apart from an early planting of garlic. The saved shallots did look rough after last years poor crop. If they do no good will have to buy some new next year
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-24, 02:42 PM   #365
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Busy morning till the rain arrived today. Got my 2nd early spuds (Charlottes) planted, 5 rows of Sturon onion sets in, weeded one of the bigger beds and repaired the netting cloche over it. I got rained on quite hard before I had finished, so now I'm a bit soggy!
Out into the potting shed this afternoon to do some seed sowing.

Sowed flower seeds earlier this month. Dahlia, Zinnia, Echinacea, Cosmos, Rudbeckia, and Calendula.

Pond and garden are waking up. King Cups in the pond.

Tenby daffs in the wildflower patch.

Forget-me -Nots under the new hedge.

Snakes Head Fritillaries in the small boggy patch next to the pond.

Second earlies planted.

Sturon onion sets in.

Garlic is growing well.

White brocolli is nearly ready to start picking.

Old 28-03-24, 05:18 PM   #366
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Was hoping to get my onion sets and parsnip seeds in over the weekend but it's touch and go thanks to the forecast. Fingers crossed.
Old 28-03-24, 06:36 PM   #367
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I'm hoping to get parsnip seeds in soon as well Trevor, but as you say, the forecast is a bit iffy.

Sowed a load more stuff in pots and trays this afternoon - leeks, purple sprouting brocolli, sprouts, rainbow chard, and another attempt at Cape Gooseberry.

I noticed that the calendula seeds I sowed in a pot in the greenhouse have started germinating. Hopefully all the rest of the flower seeds will start soon too.
Old 29-03-24, 06:26 PM   #368
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Potted on my aubergines and De Cayenne chilli plants, and more seeds sown and sat on my now, pretty full bench in the greenhouse.

Artichokes, several types of tomato, sunflowers, all the result of a pleasant afternoon spent in my warm potting shed, listening to podcasts, drinking tea and listening to the rain on the roof. A very nice way to spend the day.
Old 01-04-24, 03:31 PM   #369
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

The weather has finally turned to rain but it was much better than the forecast. So, onion sets are now in the ground, two rows of parsnips sown, leek seeds kicked off in modules in the greenhouse, and tomato seeds planted in pots now on the kitchen windowsill. Feels good to have dirty fingernails again.
Old 01-04-24, 04:57 PM   #370
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Well done Trevor. I know what you mean, it does feel good to be planting and sowing again.

I sowed Romaine lettuce, rocket and flat leaved parsley in pots and modules this morning, along with red and green mixed salad bowl lettuce into the greenhouse border. I also finally planted the lovely skimmia which had been sitting in a pot since I bought it, into a small border in front of the greenhouse. The garden is starting to look really good now.