SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-02-06, 12:43 PM   #1
andyb

Default Torque Wrench

I am looking to get a torque wrench. which torque range is best to get for use on an Sv650 and does anyone have any suggestions as to which ones are good?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 16-02-06, 12:47 PM   #2
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

For doing the shims you need to go down to 8ft-lb which is very low, so you might need two. Usual range of 15-50 shoudl do for most things from memory.

Britool? Not that impressed with Draper in general. Some of the better stuff from Halfords isn't bad but overpriced.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-06, 12:51 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

I'd say get two... One for big values (like torquing spindles) and one for smaller values. The reason being, the wider the range of the wrench, the wider the margin for error tends to be.

Machine Mart sell a big one that'll do, IIRC, 60 to 140nm- this is ideal for axles, etc. It's pretty cheap, about £10, and takes 1/2 inch sockets- though it comes with an adaptor, a lot of 3/8 aren't up to that sort of torque. It's not fantastically accurate to be honest, but it doesn't need to be in the big ranges.

And personally, I reckon for your smaller value one you want a better one. The reason being, a 2nm difference at 50nm is nothing, but at 8nm it's the difference between a tight bolt and a sheared one. So I got a pretty decent Halfords one that covers 10-70nm. Not so cheap, it was £35 or £50 IIRC.

Draper do a half-decent cheapy one that's about £15, but I found it didn't last.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-06, 01:05 PM   #4
fubber

Agree with the other posters - one for 'heavy' work and one for 'delicate' work.

Worth considering getting the 'heavy' work one with an extra long shaft.

If you have a local tool store near you go in and ask them to you let you see what's in the catalogues - they should be able to get you a next day delivery in and offer a full range of stock this way - allowing you to pick something in your price bracket etc.

Remember if it's only for occasional use then a cheap / mid price one should be fine...
Old 16-02-06, 01:07 PM   #5
andyb

thanks for the quick replies guys.will have a look at machine mart. Im just trying to get into servicing the bike myself, so i think i'll need a fair bit of luck to go with my haynes manual!!!
Old 16-02-06, 01:25 PM   #6
Radnor

Just a few things from experience, cheap ebay style torque wrenches are worse than useless. If the tool isn't calibrated properly you could inadvertently damage the threads, I made this mistake a while back when borrowing a mates ebay torque wrench.

Equally, Haynes can and does get the torque values wrong, no easy way round that apart from using the dealer service manual.

Not meaning to put you off, just be aware that using a torque wrench along with the haynes values doesn't give you the ability to go nuts, still have to use some feeling as well
Old 16-02-06, 01:57 PM   #7
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
hough it comes with an adaptor, a lot of 3/8 aren't up to that sort of torque.
The adapter isn't up to it, either; trust me on this.
Old 16-02-06, 02:06 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Because? I've got 2, so I'm not totally sure which one it is that I'm using, but neither have given me any problems. I did burst a 14mm socket undoing a linkage bolt (and nearly broke my hand in the process!)

(btw, everyone probably knows this but here it is anyway- don't use a torque wrench for anythign other than torquing. It wears them faster and can cause them to go out of calibration. I've got 2 of those Machine Mart ones, one for actual torquing and one to se as a big ratchet.)
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-06, 02:25 PM   #9
scooby2102

Halfords Professional own make 3/8 inch drive reversable - 49.99

Received Ride magazine best of award after thorough testing

have been using it for 2 years and seems ok
Old 16-02-06, 02:43 PM   #10
andyb

What kind of torque ranges are used most on the sv? Im talking about removing wheels and a possible front forks upgrade kind of thing?

I've had a look at the halfords ones and can afford one but probable not both.

Cheers for all of your help so far, im a complete newbie at maintence but want to have a go!