SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 13-05-05, 10:26 AM   #51
jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansv
Roadattacks fitted yesterday, feel very difference to anything i've had before... Not sure if thats good or bad yet
Do keep us updated once they're scrubbed in
Old 13-05-05, 10:28 AM   #52
Carsick

I think I'm gonna have to go for another set at the end of this month.
My current front is only just going to manage the next two trips I'm going on and I can't afford to try anything else.
Old 13-05-05, 06:17 PM   #53
adam

I'm off for an alpine jaunt with my road attacks. I'll post when I get back to let you know how they performed. Should I not post they didn't perform lol
Old 14-05-05, 12:09 PM   #54
Dan_SV

This makes interesting reading.

I have thought of a few questions.

1) What are they like towards the end of their lives? Once they get towards the end of it, do they turn a bit squiffy (technical term). I'm used to Bridgestones which maintain their riding qualities throughout their lives.

2) Anyone done a trackday on them yet? How did they cope?

3) Anyone done many miles on them in the proper depth's of winter? I've had experiences where tyres can have fine grip in warm wet weather, yet be attrocious in cold or cold and damp conditions.

Cheers Dan.
Old 16-05-05, 06:35 AM   #55
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_SV
1) What are they like towards the end of their lives? Once they get towards the end of it, do they turn a bit squiffy (technical term). I'm used to Bridgestones which maintain their riding qualities throughout their lives.
Not bad at all. Obviously after now 10k miles, they're a bit squared off, so tipping into corners can be an interesting experience. The reduced contact patch when they're squared off also isn't pleasant, but it's worse than any other tyre once it's like that.

Quote:
Not me.
Quote:
3) Anyone done many miles on them in the proper depth's of winter? I've had experiences where tyres can have fine grip in warm wet weather, yet be attrocious in cold or cold and damp conditions.
I put these tyres on in December or so, so they've spent alot more time in the cold and wet than they have in the dry.
I'd say they perform pretty well. Despite my front conti being worn and the rear 020 being pretty good, the back end was still sliding a long time before the front started.

Obviously these tyres can't really be compared with something properly sticky, and I wouldn't want anybody to get these on the assumption that they were fantastically grippy. For a sports touring tyre they do bloody well and they still last a while.
Old 16-05-05, 07:46 AM   #56
jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam
I'm off for an alpine jaunt with my road attacks. I'll post when I get back to let you know how they performed. Should I not post they didn't perform lol
Crap.
Old 16-05-05, 07:51 AM   #57
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam
Crap.
?
Old 16-05-05, 07:56 AM   #58
jon

Adam posted that friday with "I'll post when I get back to let you know how they performed. Should I not post they didn't perform lol". It's now monday
Old 16-05-05, 08:10 AM   #59
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon
Adam posted that friday with "I'll post when I get back to let you know how they performed. Should I not post they didn't perform lol". It's now monday
Yeah, but he did say an Alpine jaunt. I could spend weeks doing that.
Old 16-05-05, 12:11 PM   #60
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
My feeling on this is that it really depends on how it's been used, something used for a load of town commuting will wear more in the centre than at the edges, thus changing the profile more than something that's used for a greater proportion of twistys, so generally speaking I'd say the Conti held up as well as you could realistically expect, and as well as any other make of my experience.

Quote:
No, but having used a lot of tyres of all sorts and sizes I sincerely doubt that the "average rider", (whoever that is), is going to be concerned about grip.
Quote:
I put them on just before the winter, highly recommended, work well at low temps and are excellent in the wet.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote