SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-04-17, 12:58 PM   #31
UKBob23

Default Re: Bob's Track Project

Cool. That's actually really useful. Amazing what can be done with some strips of bent and drilled metal. Once my trackday at Easter is out the way I'll set to fitting my R1 fairings and fabricating some brackets. Or I may buy some second hand fairings for the SV if things work out.
Old 04-04-17, 07:31 PM   #32
Tex

One thing to check, related to the tight clutch cable in your first post, is the little clutch pushrod gizmo under the front sprocket cover. Mine was a nasty mess and a good clean and grease really helped clutch pull.
Old 24-04-17, 08:55 AM   #33
UKBob23

Not posted in a while, been crazy busy, but did my trackday at Brands Indy.

Great fun and the little bike never missed a beat. The brakes worked well but the suspension was a little unnerving on the bumps. The rear especially is like a pogo stick! Ground clearance was an issue with the suspension colapsing under heavy braking and cornering and the footpegs were touching down (see pic).

So, the suspension has to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1960[1].jpg (80.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 24-04-17, 09:05 AM   #34
UKBob23

I spent a few hours yesterday removing all the rear seat paneling, lights, indicators, numberplate and fitting the track seat. It fits on well.

I also took the opportunity to fit a Suzuki ZX6R 636 (2006 year) shock I bought off ebay.

Not exactly a motoGP professional set up, with the bike suspended from a ladder, but with a bit of huffing and puffing to get the bolts undone and a small section of the battery box removed I got the wee bast to fit. The seat still fits on too and no rubbing of the spring on the swingarm or any other nasties I've read about.

I'm rather pleased with myself. This is the biggest job to date I've ever done on a bike

K-Teck fork springs and oil in the post. Will see what they do on their own first before getting some emulators. Will be my job this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1981[1].jpg (124.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1983[1].jpg (118.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1984[1].jpg (124.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1979a.jpg (126.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by UKBob23; 24-04-17 at 09:16 AM.
Old 24-04-17, 09:07 AM   #35
UKBob23

The stock shock looks so sh;t and basic compared to the replacement gixxer one. Easy to see why it barely works.

Last edited by UKBob23; 24-04-17 at 09:09 AM.
Old 24-04-17, 10:57 AM   #36
sl0th86

Nice one mate! Hopefully that'll sort out the back end when going round clearways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16-05-17, 12:30 PM   #37
sastay

Hi all.
Having contributed to this thread i hope it's OK to advertise my post for the sale of my Curvy Minitwin Race bike here
Curvy Minitwin Race Bike 1999
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=226721
Old 17-05-17, 03:24 PM   #38
UKBob23

OK so finally got my K-tech fork springs and 15wt oil fitted to the front end. Was the first time I've ever had forks apart so pleased I got the job done. The fork spring replacement bit was a doddle. The hardest bit was trying to get a seized bolt undone on the mudguard. The bellend who had the bike before had rounded the allen key hole. I cut a slit with a dremel to use a flat bladed screwdriver but it still won't budge and the metal on the bolt is warping before the damn thing will turn. I can't use heat as i will melt the mudguard. It's still not undone but managed to get the bolt off the other side to free the fork legs from each other and get the job done.

The bike feels nice now. Less baggy and won't dive under braking so much. First test of the new shock and forks will have to be on track as the numberplate and lights are now removed from the back end and the rear track fairing is now on. Just the front track fairing to be fitted now.
Old 03-07-17, 03:48 PM   #39
UKBob23

Track fairing finally fitted. Pig to get fitted but finally managed it. Got track day booked for July 17th at Brands Hatch.

Last thing to do is sort the side stand switch out. I had to remove the stand to get the fairing on. I'm wondering if I can just bypass it by connecting the wires feeding into it but the wiring diagram shows a diode in the switch. I've ordered a secondhand switch off ebay for a £5 so I can butcher it and take a look inside and keep the original one good.

Anyone any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2196[1].jpg (127.4 KB, 0 views)