SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-04-17, 03:50 PM   #1
Qkley

Default Bent and ground rear foot level - MOT fail?

Dear fellow moto-enthusiasts,

I have ended up in a predicament that resulted in my foot brake lever being bent and ground. My MOT is in less than a month and I was wondering if this would be a reason a technician could fail my bike? The rear brake works very well. In fact, I actually find this lever somewhat more comfortable than before the lever damage.

Unfortunately, I do not have the facilities to bend the lever back into shape. The only option is direct replacement which I consider a last resort since servicing my bike prior to the MOT left a bit of a hole in my pocket.

Best wishes,
Qkley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SV650_lever_1.jpg (131.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SV650_lever_2.jpg (128.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SV650_lever_3.jpg (133.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-04-17, 04:06 PM   #2
Blapper

Default Re: Bent and ground rear foot level - MOT fail?

You will not bend it straight. As soon as you try it will break. My advice is to call the MOT place you are using and ask them if it is a failure. They may consider that it could break and so it is a fail, or not. Ask them.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-17, 04:25 PM   #3
moblies

Dont think the fact its bent would fail but the fact its ground a part off the lever I would think is a fail especially as its a brake lever. i had a fail because the front brake lever had snapped the ball bit at the end off but was still larger than one of those short levers you can buy. Luck at the MOT station pays a big part.

difficult to tell how much is missing, if its not a lot will probably be fine. I have bent one back with a small vice but it could snap.

Last edited by moblies; 02-04-17 at 04:31 PM.
moblies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 06:28 AM   #4
Blapper

Wait - looking at your pictures, that looks one of the replacements you can get off eBay - it is a ten minute job to change it? It also is less bent than mine was when it broke while I tried to straighten it,.However, I would not trust a straightened lever.
Old 03-04-17, 09:29 AM   #5
aesmith

I'm in the same boat, only mine's a pointy. Are there cheap replacements available? The genuine part is quite expensive so since mine is perfectly useable I have just left it. If it was cheaply replaceable I'd probably do so.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 11:11 AM   #6
ophic
Mega Poster

Mine has gone through 2 MOTs with a bolt through the end of a snapped lever. It's not bent but it is shorter than it should be. It's noted on the advisories but it hasn't failed.
Old 03-04-17, 11:12 AM   #7
SheepShagger

About 30 quid for a new aftermarket replacement on ebay

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 11:19 AM   #8
Blapper

Ebay from £29 IIRC

I got one for my curvy but returned it because it was not close enough to the original but others may be happy with it. The other problem I found was an incompatibilty with the rear brake light spring so the light was on all the time. You could make a short extension link out of tinned copper wire though.

I believe it is much closer to the pointy lever though, but be aware it is a general purpose product not specifically for any one bike.
Old 03-04-17, 03:39 PM   #9
aesmith

Do you have a link for that? £30 seems to be about the going rate for purpose made replacements, or for good second hand. Not that I'm tight of anything but I wasn't inclined to pay that while the bent lever works perfectly well. If it's the price of an MOT pass then that's a different matter.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 03:47 PM   #10
Blapper

This one from M&P looks better:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV6...YAAOSw4DJYgxdS

But this is the one I tried:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Brake...8AAOSwEK9W~XCt

You can see the protrusion on the rear face for the return and brake light springs that I was moaning about. It woul have been fab if I could have unscrewed the OEM parts from my broken one and put them on it but hey-ho.

I would give M&P a call to see what their lever does for the rear brake light switch and return springs as I cant see any protrusion.