SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 14-01-11, 02:13 PM   #11
SIII
Mega Poster

Default Re: Knockhill

Thanks for the reply - had me a little worried there.

I have sent an enquiry to knockhill about possible days in April, sorry for hijacking this thread but there seams to be interest in a SV Ecosse trackday.
Old 14-01-11, 04:30 PM   #12
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

track days are fun, just keep a level head and know your limits...

I'd be willing to come along... but i can't do either of the above!!! but I'm almost ready to go back on track... (its nearly 9 years since I met Knockhill close up - how my fresh Leo Vince can loved me for it)

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-11, 07:55 PM   #13
fenjer

I'd love to do track day - but I can't afford to buy the required leathers just yet.
Old 15-01-11, 09:00 PM   #14
suicidesam

Get yersell out and enjoy it
Done a few laps in a cosworth a few years back.. great fun!
Bought a set of leathers a couple of years back after getting invited to a Ducati track night.. decided at last minute due to some rain not to take mine out since 748's are rather expensive to replace fairings on! Split new hyper went sliding by me without a rider that night
Just got to take it easy and you'll love it.
Old 16-01-11, 12:20 PM   #15
SIII
Mega Poster

Reply from Knockhill

Thankyou for enquiry regards Bike track novice dates, our first all day
bike track day is on 8th April, next week we will be releasing
additional dates which I can send you e-mail and also cost etc. You can
also get information from our website at www.knockhill.com,select
trackdays,then bike trackdays
Any new dates will be posted on our website.

Regards

Helen Cruickshank
Old 17-01-11, 01:36 AM   #16
northwind
Mega Poster

One of the days I did was an open pit halfday... Now that was good and bad. The bad was, it was full of racers testing. Officially racers and race bikes aren't allowed but they ignore that completely. So, there were some very fast hombres and occasionally that was offputting. Oh and I suppose I should say, that was the one I crashed on because the sheer amount of laps meant I got really into it and started going too fast but that's not the fault of the format, just that it's more likely to happen on a longer day's riding.

But the pros are great... You can ride when you want to, stop when you want to. One lap I had visibility issues, came in to change my visor. Do that on a normal 4-session day and that's a quarter of your track time gone maybe, they won't always let you back out. And likewise, someone crashes, red flag goes out, you don't lose track time either. If you're feeling on it, keep going, if you just want to stop or tweak the bike or have a drink or just a break, just do it. Also, even though there were as many bikes out as usual, the absence of synchronised starts and the ability to stop and start meant the track was quiet. It really was a bloody good day.

Not that there's anything wrong with the 4-session, 3-group halfdays but you can see the drawbacks. I think the standard sessions are better for a first time but the open pit days are probably better after that IMO. Though I think more expensive.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-11, 05:55 PM   #17
stuartyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen McG View Post
The marshalls do not allow overtaking on the bends so you can concentrate on getting a decent line without worrying who is up your ar$e.
You can overtake on bends. I've been overtaken and overtook on bends.

Someone mentioned novice nights being all novices - unfortunately that's never the case - certainly in the last 2-3 years when I've been there. The only time you will get that is when it's a pre booked club night or an instructor led track night. Otherwise you get intermediates, advanced riders and the likes turning up and getting track time. I spoke with them about this last year and they said they were going to crack down on it but whether that has changed I don't know.

Northy is right - you're far better doing an open track day. The riders span out quite a bit and often you can get the track to yourself whilst other riders are tweaking suspension and stuff. It can get very tiring after lots of laps - even the advanced guys have to stop for regular breaks.
Old 18-01-11, 10:13 AM   #18
Johnny_BoomBoom

Hmmm, track virgin here.....think I'd like to pop my cherry this year too!!
Old 18-01-11, 12:29 PM   #19
Stephen McG

Both times I have taken my bike onto Knockhill have been when our bike club has booked the circuit.
If the 'no overtaking on bends' is only appled to these events, then I am sorry if I gave supplied false information.
SMcG
Old 18-01-11, 02:32 PM   #20
lammypie

id been intending to go this year aswell. think its a great idea that a group of beginners go together. id be interested