SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-08-05, 03:46 PM   #1
MrMessy

Default Fork Oil Seal Change:

I will need to change a fork oil seal shortly and the last time I did any petrol was 33p a gallon! I am O/K about getting the old ones out but need advice about reassembly. Do I fit the seal in the fork legs then slide the inner stanchions through them or slide the seal over the inner stanchions and "knock"into place? In Bike mag they are rebuilding a Blade and it looks like they used the second option with a plastic collar and a lead "collar" to drift into place. Your advice would be appreciated.
MrMessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 03:52 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The second of those you describe, the seal and upper bush etc go on the leg, then the whole lot goes into the slider, you'll need to drift the bush into the slider and then the seal the same.

You already have a seal driver - it's the old seal, with a sharp knife cut the seal inner, lower lip away, (the bit with the spring on it), so that the outer circumference of the old seal only bears on the new seal, make sure it all goes in square.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote