SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: What Rideout System do you use and recommend?
"Fast" Group at the front 2 15.38%
"Slow" Group at the front 3 23.08%
Neither......Please explain (Brifely if posible!) 8 61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-07, 10:18 PM   #1
independentphoto

Default Rideout "Sections" or "Groups"

After trying to avoid everyone doing ther own thing on an SV Ecosse rideout today, there have been the usual mixed reactions...

There are lines of though whereby the fast "Group" go off on their own and "have a blast". The Slow / less experienced "group" arrive some time later at the meeting points. That is if they haven't stopped to fetch one person out of a hedge because they felt under pressure to play catch up with the other riders, causing them to ride beyond their ability.

The other school of thought is that the slow/ less experienced riders "Group" go at the front and set a pace that they are comfortable with. This ensures that there is no "pressure" - real or imaginary put upon riders of lesser ability. If the "Fast" group wish to "have a blast", they only need to fall back and then "go for it" to do so. As long as most people know the rout or destination there is no problem.

What do you lot do?

Garry

Last edited by independentphoto; 02-09-07 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-09-07, 10:24 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Rideout "Sections" or "Groups"

all go together, and the faster riders do the drop offs, so nobody is left behind, if you dont want to do drop offs let the faster riders past, when you can & stay in the middle.
and the faster riders will drop off so they are at the back, its then up to that rider, to work his way back to the front ready to do another drop off

i think this works very well, depending if you have enough riders willing to do drop offs (which we have)

the problem with the fast riders at the front is, peeps might try to keep up, and push too hard & others may think they are being left behind

Last edited by hovis; 02-09-07 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-09-07, 10:32 PM   #3
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

The GM normally use the drop off marker system how it normally works with us that we have a leader and a tail end charlie then it's normally the faster riders mark the corners as they mark the corner then work their way back upto the front to mark again

although if there is only a small number of us we just keep the rider in front and the rider behind in sight
Old 02-09-07, 10:33 PM   #4
stuartyboy

let the ladies ride in front and I'll be happy to ride from behind
Old 03-09-07, 01:58 AM   #5
smithwessn

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry tibbs View Post
let the ladies ride in front and I'll be happy to ride from behind
+1... sounds like a good ride to me
Old 03-09-07, 07:35 AM   #6
Mogs

As per Hovis and Dirtydog.
Old 03-09-07, 07:48 AM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

I believe that if its a site 'group' rideout that everyone should ride together using the marking system. if you want to go off and have a play then do it another time or just dont attend the rideout in the 1st place and just meet at the end points.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 08:11 AM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

What Viney said.

If I want to stretch the legs of the GSXR I go out by myself.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 08:15 AM   #9
Luckypants
Mega Poster

As above, if you are on a group ride surely you want to be part of the group? If you want a 'blast' go on your own or arrange your own fast ride out with mates.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 08:53 AM   #10
rictus01
Mega Poster

I'd have to agree the primary reason behind group riding is to move the group from point A to point B.

Whilst the benefits of the Marker system allow a certain flexibility (gaps can be created to give riders room to "enjoy" themselves) or indeed the marker group system requiring a certain amount of progressive riding from the markers themselves, these can become limiting to more "spirited" riders.

This can be addressed by breaking the group into speed/experiance and then adjusted by either time or distance, with good planning the "fast" group will have a route to bring them to the same stop point at the same time as the rest of the riders, perhaps adding a loop of several miles to that travelled by everyone else.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote