SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-08-12, 08:38 PM   #1
Rcollarbone

Default Braided hoses clips - where from?

Hi everyone,

yes - I do know that there are multiple threads covering this topic however:

does anybody have a link or an item name for the hose clip neccessary to bolt braided hoses to the forks on the SV? - I'm struggling with what to type in to find what im looking for.

Also, I've seen many mixed reviews on how well braided hoses work... surely they should work better or people would stop buying them? - I thought this was to do with expansion in the rubber hoses before pushing the pistons in the normal hoses, I dont know about anyone else but I know my brakes are pretty poor.

Hope you can help

Thanks
Old 25-08-12, 08:44 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Braided hoses Questions

stainless steel rubber lined p clips.

brakes only work as good as they are serviced. wrongly serviced and they can be a death trap. rubber hoses don't cause that much expansion unless they are old and perished. you would be hard pushed to tell the difference between good rubber hoses and braided teflon under road use.

if your having problems with your brakes then its guaranteed they need a service and if you don't know how to do it then get someone who does to do it. your brakes are for stopping if they don't work you don't stop.. simples.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-12, 08:44 PM   #3
speedyandypandy

P-clip, but suzuki partsfiche says :
CLAMP, BRAKE HOSE NO.2 RIGHT HAND
CLAMP, BRAKE HOSE NO.2 LEFT HAND
Old 25-08-12, 10:20 PM   #4
Thunderace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
stainless steel rubber lined p clips.

brakes only work as good as they are serviced. wrongly serviced and they can be a death trap. rubber hoses don't cause that much expansion unless they are old and perished. you would be hard pushed to tell the difference between good rubber hoses and braided teflon under road use.

if your having problems with your brakes then its guaranteed they need a service and if you don't know how to do it then get someone who does to do it. your brakes are for stopping if they don't work you don't stop.. simples.
Listen to this man, brakes are my forte and I would say service them, braided lines simply degrade slower than normal rubber hoses but unless you're planning to keep the bike for many years or race it I wouldn't bother!
Old 25-08-12, 11:28 PM   #5
Joe Marcon

Tie wrap? Lol
Old 26-08-12, 07:27 AM   #6
Rcollarbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderace View Post
Listen to this man, brakes are my forte and I would say service them, braided lines simply degrade slower than normal rubber hoses but unless you're planning to keep the bike for many years or race it I wouldn't bother!
Yeah, maybe I should have let a professional service them rather than my dad... I fitted new pads and he bled the system but they were no better. They dont feel spongy on the levers, just have a gap at the beginning of the pull before anything happens (I can ride with the brake light on and not be braking). As another point even with the lever fully back to the bar they dont feel amazing at slowing me down. At least if I get braided hoses fitted the system will be flushed out and re done.
- also braided hoses look nicer IMHO

Thanks for the help guys, gonna order some red anodised p-clips
Old 26-08-12, 07:51 AM   #7
speedyandypandy

It's easy to change seals, clean the 'groves' where the seals go is very important, use red brake silicone, new fluid offcourse. You can either use compressed air to blow out the pistons or buy a brake piston removal tool.
Wemoto is one place that sells complete service kit.
Then after you should clean your brakes a few times a year with brake cleaner spray and a toothbrush. Pistons are important to clean.
Old 26-08-12, 07:58 PM   #8
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Default Re: Braided hoses clips - where from?

You've already got the best ( and free! ) brake piston removal tool.
It's called a brake lever.