SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-03-09, 11:57 AM   #1
swoods33

Default Newbie on the Wirral - My bike needs assessing

Hi all,

I'm new to biking and passed my full test in December, but I have been driving for some time. I've recently bought an 02 curvy 'S' model which appears to be in average* condition.

I've cleaned the bike as much as possible and did it need it! The bike has needed some TLC and I wanted to get an idea, once clean (looking for leaks etc); what else needs to be done.

*Problem I have is; I don't really have anything to compare the bike to, to gauge it's overall health.

Also the bike only came with service history for last 2 years - owners/ service book not available! Even so, it rides OK, no adverse noises or smoke and they guy I bought it from did give me the receipts for the work he had done.

I'm quite happy to have a go at the easier maintenance jobs, especially anything that will improve the ride, and be preventative to future issues.

Anyone out there live on the Wirral, with machanical background who could spare half an hour to review my bike and give me some tips/ suggestions what next steps are needed or jobs I can get stuck in too?

Cheers, Steve
Old 20-03-09, 12:45 PM   #2
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Newbie on the Wirral - My bike needs assessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoods33 View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to biking and passed my full test in December, but I have been driving for some time. I've recently bought an 02 curvy 'S' model which appears to be in average* condition.

I've cleaned the bike as much as possible and did it need it! The bike has needed some TLC and I wanted to get an idea, once clean (looking for leaks etc); what else needs to be done.

*Problem I have is; I don't really have anything to compare the bike to, to gauge it's overall health.

Also the bike only came with service history for last 2 years - owners/ service book not available! Even so, it rides OK, no adverse noises or smoke and they guy I bought it from did give me the receipts for the work he had done.

I'm quite happy to have a go at the easier maintenance jobs, especially anything that will improve the ride, and be preventative to future issues.

Anyone out there live on the Wirral, with machanical background who could spare half an hour to review my bike and give me some tips/ suggestions what next steps are needed or jobs I can get stuck in too?

Cheers, Steve
Happy to help if you wish. I live in Wallasey.

I'm racing this weekend in Anglesey though but ok most evenings.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-09, 12:49 PM   #3
Dappa D

Default Re: Newbie on the Wirral - My bike needs assessing

welcome fella.....you have come to the right place , offer of help already!