SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-12-05, 11:25 PM   #1
Claire

Default Running Problems

Evening chaps. Was wondering if anyone with mechanical knoweldge could tell me what might be wrong.

Since the temp dropped the bike hasn't liked starting. After replacing the battery and the plugs I needed to keep the Optimiser on to keep the battery topped up. As today was warm(ish) and sunny, I went out for a couple of hours to warm her through and charge the battery. Whilst doing about 70 on the way home she started backfiring and losing and regaining power. Is this because she hasn't been run properly for a while and is a bit carboned up or is it something to do with fittng a CCC can? Is it worth setting the bike up after fitting any aftermarked can although the lads at CCC told me it didn't need it. Sometimes the bike smells of petrol after a long run out. I did wonder if it was overfuelling. The bike is kept outside under a Stormex cover (what I'd do for a garage!) and doesn't always get run as long as she should. Do I really have to wait til Spring before normal service is resumed?
Old 11-12-05, 11:41 PM   #2
jim@55

i dont think itl b the can,,iv got one on mine and its ok..you said you can smell petrol ,,sounds like a carb problem to me ..somebody whos good at mechanical bits'll prob have a theory ,but im rubbish at they things sorry
Old 12-12-05, 12:19 AM   #3
Chatterbox

Have you tried the fuel additive to ensure its not icing up. Quick and simple.
Old 12-12-05, 12:19 AM   #4
Claire

Thanks Jim@55, at least that's one possible solution - one that I didn't have before
Old 12-12-05, 12:27 AM   #5
Chatterbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatterbox
Have you tried the fuel additive to ensure its not icing up. Quick and simple.
Also if its kept outside, have your dryed and greased around sparkplug leads where fit on to plugs?

This time of year your battery will need regular charging if not using bike, or if you can disconnrct black/negative lead when not using can also help.
Old 12-12-05, 12:28 AM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

FST Pro's worked wonders for mine, I'd started to wonder if I'd left a spanner in or something Good stuff. Also, if your fuelling's already a bit off- as it may well be with a slip-on fitted- then winter tends to accentuate that. Cold air is denser so if your bike is already on the lean side, that could make it leaner...

Try sticking the baffles in if you don't have them in usually, see if that makes any difference.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 09:05 AM   #7
Claire

Thanks for the replies ppl. It has FTS Pro added to stop icing as this was a problem before. Haven't greased the sparkplug leads but will give that a go. Never had a problem with backfiring and lerching until I fitted the pipe so maybe I need to sort out the fuelling some time soon, that or put her away for winter and get a cheap hack!