SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-11-07, 10:54 AM   #1
MeridiaNx

Default Quickie - powder coat frame price

Hey all,

Just a very quick thread (I have searched first) to get some opinions on powdercoat prices. This would be for my new DR650's frame.

Quote from a company recommended to me by a colleague is £80 for blasting and coating. That price gives me a range of basic colours, not just black. Doubt it will be covering metallic but standard will do me just fine.

Good price?
Old 10-11-07, 02:51 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: Quickie - powder coat frame price

Seems not bad at all, I doubt you'll find a price elsewhere that's so much cheaper that it's worth posting it or travelling after all. Is that just for coating, or also for prep? And also, do they know what they're doing as far as masking bike parts? It's quite common when dealing with coaters that don't, to find that they've not masked bolt holes, bearing seats etc, which would be very annoying.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-07, 03:03 PM   #3
MeridiaNx

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Seems not bad at all, I doubt you'll find a price elsewhere that's so much cheaper that it's worth posting it or travelling after all.
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Is that just for coating, or also for prep? And also, do they know what they're doing as far as masking bike parts?
Hmmm, will have to get back to him on that one. What I do know is that he said to bring the frame in without bearings. Does that count as me doing the prep. work/what prep. is there to be done anyway?

I presume, seeing as they have frames on their website and they are known for doing most spray work for a large local bike group, that they know what they're doing when it comes to masking. I'm popping over to have a look at their work and a proper chat asap though.
Old 10-11-07, 03:05 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Sounds good then... I got a quote for the wheels once which seemed great, but it turned out he expected me to strip them myself, which is why I'm a bit wary of that. Most places will want the bearings and bolts out, and the parts to be clean, but will blast or strip it themselves.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote