SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-04-06, 11:05 AM   #1
Jase22

Default Numberplate Light - What's the legal standing?

Just wondered whether anyone knew what the legal standing / MOT requirements are as far as numberplate lights go?

I've not been able to confirm whether there is a ligal requirement for a seperate white plate light or whether the red light from my tail light is sufficient. (Just to clarify I have an aftermarket undertray fitted and there's no space for the stock plate light).

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that there is just a requirement for the plate to be "illuminated" but there was no detail about what would come under this category.

Good old MOT time eh?
Old 19-04-06, 11:07 AM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

It has to be illuminated by white light. However this may change form test station to test station.

Get a LED number plate light off of Ebay or such like
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-06, 11:09 AM   #3
Razor

I can't quote chapter and verse but yes it's gotta be a white light that illuminates the plate. Cheap LED unit will do it.
Old 19-04-06, 11:09 AM   #4
Jase22

I've got an LED light, but wasn't sure whether these were legal due to them spewing white light out everywhere and I didn't think it was legal to have white light showing at the rear of the bike hence why the stock one only points down?
Old 19-04-06, 11:10 AM   #5
Daimo

YEah, plates have to be legally lit up. ITs a modified cars nightmare, smoothing everything only to have some bloody lights stick out.

There are ways around it if your happy to tinker.

TVR style, special reg plates, lights shine up through the plate

Old 19-04-06, 11:34 AM   #6
Skip
Mega Poster

Is that legal then Daimo? I take it there isnt some daft law that says number plates must be lit from above or something...?
Old 19-04-06, 12:02 PM   #7
Daimo

Yup, fully legal (although some un-educated coppers (you know the type i mean, don't have a clue aout cars, the highway, speed limits etc) would question it, but its 100% legal). Its used on most TVR's as a standard way of lighting up the reg plate.

Girlfriends idea, shes got the same. IF she can't see my lights at night, she follows my reg plate
Old 19-04-06, 01:23 PM   #8
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Has to be lit by white light but the light source cannot be seen from behind.

Eg. If you put LEDs pointing down onto the numberplate but from behind you could see the LEDs then thats not allowed they have to sheld the light backwards, only RED can show eg the brake light & of course the indicators.

Its something like that, not 100% sure though, just stuff i have peiced together.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-06, 01:23 PM   #9
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Anyone using an R&G tail tidy? It comes with a white LED, but really does bugger all at night. Does a white number plate light have to be effective or does it just have to be present? (for MOT purposes).
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-06, 01:28 PM   #10
thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar
Anyone using an R&G tail tidy? It comes with a white LED, but really does bugger all at night. Does a white number plate light have to be effective or does it just have to be present? (for MOT purposes).
I do, and the light is another reason why I don't rate them. The light is weedy, and I found that I had to bend the plate up to get clearance from the back wheel and that means some light from the plate light shines backwards.