SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 20-06-10, 03:56 PM   #1
zobers

Smile Stowe circuit Silverstone

Just wanted to know if anyone has done the Stowe circuit at Silverstone? Debating whether to go there for my first trackday or not.
Old 22-06-10, 11:54 PM   #2
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Re: Stowe circuit Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobers View Post
Just wanted to know if anyone has done the Stowe circuit at Silverstone? Debating whether to go there for my first trackday or not.
I did CSS there. Personally, there are much better tracks around! Unless it is ridiculously cheap, I wouldn't bother. The bottom half of teh circuit isn't bad, but the first half is like a car park (complete with over-banding)
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-10, 01:21 AM   #3
zobers

Hmmm thank you, good to know. I have some vouchers to spend on a trackday from marshalling so just thought Silverstone might be a good starting point. Mallory is my ideal (literally 10mins from me) but the Silverstone trackday is just Novices so I have no idea what to do.
Old 23-06-10, 08:30 AM   #4
mattSV
Mega Poster

I did Stowe a few years ago with Buell - good for a freeebie, but not the most technical of circuits.

However, when I was at Silverstone at the weekend for the GP, it did look as though Stowe has been extended and improved.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-10, 05:27 PM   #5
rusty76

zobies,

It might sound appealing but novice only days may attract the uber uber numptys

I did mallory on Tuesday in Novices and there was one individual who I'd lap 3 times....over a session lasting 8 laps. Imagine a group full of them!

If there's no restrictions on your free day then plump for Oulton or Silverstone GP arena cos they're normally the most pricey (cos they're the best). Otherwise try Rockingham International, and invite me

PS Mallory have resurfaced the shabby bits of the track over the winter
Old 24-06-10, 11:27 AM   #6
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
PS Mallory have resurfaced the shabby bits of the track over the winter
so the whole track then?

which bits have they resurfaced? it's about the only thing stopping me going there again, i refuse to pay good money for a circuit with such a poor surface in places you'd think you were riding on the road!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob

Last edited by chris8886; 24-06-10 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-10, 02:08 PM   #7
rusty76

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8886 View Post
so the whole track then?

which bits have they resurfaced? it's about the only thing stopping me going there again, i refuse to pay good money for a circuit with such a poor surface in places you'd think you were riding on the road!
Don't expect miracles. Most of the work is around the hairpin, the bus stop and the entry to gerrards. The minimum they could get away with really. I love Mallory but have to abmit that the conditions and facilities are crap at best (other than the cafe and the army of old ladies who run it, bless em)
Old 24-06-10, 10:57 PM   #8
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Don't expect miracles. Most of the work is around the hairpin, the bus stop and the entry to gerrards. The minimum they could get away with really. I love Mallory but have to abmit that the conditions and facilities are crap at best (other than the cafe and the army of old ladies who run it, bless em)
it's a start i suppose, but my main gripe with the surface was the whacking great trench (read small crack ) that went/goes round the length of gerrards. and was always on my line (it may well be the wrong one, but that's the one i wanted ). just causes me to lose a huge amount of confidence around a vey quick corner where the surface should be perfect above all other places IMO.
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-10, 03:06 PM   #9
rusty76

yeah, that's still there mate. If you get stuck in it it does cause a wobble, not normally a problem except you're cranked over doing close to a tonne. It's not an issue if you're on a good line (of which there are several on Gerrards) but needs a bit of care with avoiding people

they have sorted out the much bigger hole that was at the start of that crack on the entry to Gerrards

I had a fantastic day on Tuesday, it's not perfect by a long way, but sadly it seems that's the price of remaining independant nowadays
Old 25-06-10, 08:50 PM   #10
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobers View Post
Hmmm thank you, good to know. I have some vouchers to spend on a trackday from marshalling so just thought Silverstone might be a good starting point. Mallory is my ideal (literally 10mins from me) but the Silverstone trackday is just Novices so I have no idea what to do.
If you can go for Silverstone GP or National circuit, then great! Other options in your area would Rockingham or as you say Mallory.

I personally really like Mallory, but for a first timer, I 'd probably so go for Rockingham. (facilities are much better!)
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote