SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-05-21, 06:12 PM   #9521
redtrummy

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Try our Doctors -War and Peace
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 02:14 PM   #9522
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Gave myself a couple of hours off today to go find some paths with the DRZ. Spent most of it sitting in Castle Combe waiting to be rescued. Taunted by the sound of inline fours enjoying a track day in the background.
20 minutes into the ride and the dash went blank. Pulled into Castle Combe track car park to see what was wrong. Turned off engine and then it wouldn't turn on again. No cranking, nothing. Pushed it along the road to try and find a hill for a bump start. Ended up walking about a mile. Even a light bike is heavy when you're pushing it! Then found a big hill to roll down. Successful bump start and then a bus pulled out of a side road. Quick braking led to stalling and then the engine wouldn't start again. Now down the bottom of the hill there was nothing else I could do. An hour later my wife picked me up. Lift home then out again to get the van and recover the bike. Very frustrating "morning off". Back to work now and then some diagnosis of electrics to look forward to on my next day off. I'm not ruling out the new battery I got being duff at this point. On the charger it's showing over 12 volts but it's not getting above on bar out of 4 after three hours of charging.

Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 03:16 PM   #9523
Chris_SVS

Had planned to get stuck back into the brake disc/pad swap on the car this afternoon, covid jab has turned my left arm into an accessory
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 07:57 PM   #9524
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Had planned to get stuck back into the brake disc/pad swap on the car this afternoon, covid jab has turned my left arm into an accessory
Really, I didn't feel a thing
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 08:03 PM   #9525
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Really, I didn't feel a thing
\
It was in my arm that's why
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 08:07 PM   #9526
svenrico

Approaching a chicane in the road in a local village today on the Suzuki and I have the right of way as shown by big white arrow on sign - see pick up truck (like farmers use ) approaching from other direction but he doesn't look to be slowing down - do I accelerate to get past chicane before he gets there or assume he will actually slow down when he sees me on the single lane - I proceed at same normal speed but he doesn't slow down and charges past forcing me as far to side of single lane as I can go with a sideways ' f**k you motorcyclist ' type nod of his head as he goes past.
Old 05-05-21, 08:09 PM   #9527
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
\
It was in my arm that's why
It wasn't when I had mine done
Old 06-05-21, 08:32 PM   #9528
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
...some diagnosis of electrics to look forward to on my next day off. I'm not ruling out the new battery I got being duff at this point. On the charger it's showing over 12 volts but it's not getting above on bar out of 4 after three hours of charging.

Battery eventually started to show some evidence of holding charge late last night. Pulled the seat and panels off bike when I got home today for a quick inspection and relieved to find the connector from the stator to the reg/reg had popped open. Back together with a good bend of the locating tang to hold it tight and it all fired up and works fine again. I must have disturbed it removing the shock for the new spring. Also cleaned some white dust corrosion out of a couple of old fuse holders and sprayed a few connectors. I couldn't work out why the electrics had failed after I've done so much work on it with new stator and hard wiring to the battery from reg/rec etc. Glad it turned out to be something simple and not a weekend of diagnosing mystery problems.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-21, 08:39 PM   #9529
maviczap
Mega Poster

Moved into my new home Tuesday
Plusnet buggered up the Broadband switch from my previous place, so no internet until the 12th May

Plugged in my Sky box, no signal from Satellite. Worked fine at my previous address. No TV aerial at my new address.

Watched a 45min show using my phone as a hotspot for my TV, used up 2gb data on my 6gb plan!

Plusnet will compensate me for this mobile data usage, but it's a PITA this technology!
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-21, 08:54 PM   #9530
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Battery eventually started to show some evidence of holding charge late last night. Pulled the seat and panels off bike when I got home today for a quick inspection and relieved to find the connector from the stator to the reg/reg had popped open. Back together with a good bend of the locating tang to hold it tight and it all fired up and works fine again. I must have disturbed it removing the shock for the new spring. Also cleaned some white dust corrosion out of a couple of old fuse holders and sprayed a few connectors. I couldn't work out why the electrics had failed after I've done so much work on it with new stator and hard wiring to the battery from reg/rec etc. Glad it turned out to be something simple and not a weekend of diagnosing mystery problems.
Glad it was that simple.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk