SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-03-14, 06:40 PM   #1
Mikey360

Default Pointy won't start after datatool S4 removal

So, as title suggests....

I've removed the alarm and alarm wiring from the SV after It wouldn't turn off after I accidentally shorted the wires going to the rear indicator (no idea why it set itself off after that), never really liked it much anyway.

It turns over, but no ignition. Lights up but with a blank digital display and i cant hear the electrical whirling when the key is turned.

As far as I can tell, the only wired that were cut into were the indicator ones, so they haven't been reconnected as of yet, but there was an orange and green wire that was spliced into that went into the mode selector plug (i think) then it looks like more orange and green wires have been spliced, but none were connected to the alarm wiring?

All the fuses are fine too. I've also unplugged the battery and ECU to see if that helped, but no good.

Please help as I cannot wait to get the SV back on the road!
Old 25-03-14, 06:54 PM   #2
Redmist

Default Re: Pointy won't start after datatool S4 removal

I had something similar, it took some looking over the electrical diagrams in the haynes manual to finally work it out, there are some wires that will need to go back together and unfortunately aren't obvious. I had to strip lots of the cable tape away to find all the necessary wires that needed work.

There are some wiring diagrams that come up in a google image search but eventually I bought the manual to really work it out.

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-14, 06:55 PM   #3
Redmist

Oh and check that you have the tilt switch sensor the right way up if you had to mess with it to get to the alarm wiring.

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-14, 07:06 PM   #4
muzikill
Mega Poster

Do a search on google for your sv versions wiring diagram. If your lucky to trace them then its just a case of resoldering the ends I would strongly suggest using youtube to learn how to do it properly for motorbike cables (using heatshrink) to keep it insulated from the elements. I found on mine they had chopped into the sv's own factory alarm connector (and disposed of it causing a fair bit of headscratching) keep an eye out that the connector loop through back into the circuit is still intact. Otherwise youll need to reinstate it yourself. Did you mark the cables when you disconnected the old alarm? ..... hope so!

Start looking at the factory alarm connector part of the wiring diagram and make notes as you traceback.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.

Last edited by muzikill; 25-03-14 at 07:09 PM.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-14, 07:21 PM   #5
Mikey360

Thanks for the quick reply guys, admittedly I have a feeling that the tip over sensor has been moved in my attempts to trace wires, so will check that later to see if that helps, do i need a new one if it has been moved? What angle should it be at?
Also, I do think that the original alarm connector has been removed (couldn't find it from looking at the wiring diagram) Any one know where about the origional should be on the bike incase I've missed it?
Old 25-03-14, 07:36 PM   #6
muzikill
Mega Poster

Tip over sensor shouldnt need replaced it slots into a plastic tab upright in front of the fusebox. It looks like a relay on a bendy plastic flexpipe. The alarm connector is around the same area where you put in the key to open the pillion storage. They will have removed the tail bodywork to have fitted the alarm. A manual will do you proud with solving this.
Check the tip over 1st lets not go ott if you believe youve connected it back up right. Check your fuses as well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
Old 25-03-14, 07:41 PM   #7
DJ123
Mega Poster

Did you remember from where you removed the wiring from? You probably have to reconnect a circuit in order for the bike to start.
IIRC the alarm will use one of 2 circuits to prevent the bike from starting: 1) ignition 2) fuel pump

A Haynes manual has the full wiring circuit in it and a very useful thing to have. Need to make sure your getting power through the wires on both circuits to find out which one is not complete.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-14, 07:50 PM   #8
muzikill
Mega Poster

Default Re: Re: Pointy won't start after datatool S4 removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
Did you remember from where you removed the wiring from? You probably have to reconnect a circuit in order for the bike to start.
IIRC the alarm will use one of 2 circuits to prevent the bike from starting: 1) ignition 2) fuel pump

A Haynes manual has the full wiring circuit in it and a very useful thing to have. Need to make sure your getting power through the wires on both circuits to find out which one is not complete.
If I remember there is a strange loopthrough on the alarm connector circuit as well.
Old 25-03-14, 08:15 PM   #9
DJ123
Mega Poster

There are 2 wires which need to connect in order for one of those circuits to work. Did mine so long ago I can't remember which. Only that all 4 are black with a white stripe!

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-14, 08:26 PM   #10
Mikey360

The tip over hasn't been moved, thought it was something else!

I have a feeling it's the fuel pump circuit as there's no pump noise when the ignition is turned on, and it does turn over.

But the only visible splicing / cutting (other than the indicators) only appears to be from the mode select switch connector on the orange and green cable that runs straight to the ecu, close to where its been spliced, it looks like 3 or 4 similar wires have been spliced, but they weren't connected to the alarm wiring at all, they're orange and green, 3 into one? One of the wires goes into the resistor, then the other two disappear back into the wiring loom, now according to the Haynes manual, they go to the ignition signal fan and the horn switch. I don't see why these have been spliced to get the alarm working? Nightmare.