SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-07-17, 11:01 PM   #201
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: SVBMX Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Don't try and bring my failings into this (I've been hard at work actually, but no progress to show at the moment).

Back to the very nice bike in this thread, I've just had a thought... How difficult or otherwise will the fairing be to remove and replace for servicing needs?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-17, 07:01 AM   #202
svbmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy650 View Post
The fork guards look better then the normal mudguard IMHO. Nice job
My thoughts too. I've got a fresh Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa to go on too which should look and ride better than current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
I love that 'zorst.
Me too I think I'm gonna cap the end with some of the stainless hex mesh i used at the front of the fairing. Cool stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Come on get it finished!
Haha, I'm trying! Me and the missus are currently in the process of buying are first house so funds are limited at the mo. Not that its cost much so far, but any money spent on stuff that's not house related is getting a little frowned upon!! :S

Quote:
How difficult or otherwise will the fairing be to remove and replace for servicing needs?
The fairing is actually very easy to remove. I know this because I'm constantly taking it on/off to tweak bits n pieces!

Its basically 3 allen head screws either side to remove the front infill panels, the 2 upper screws that hold the mesh either side, the 2 upper radiator screws removed and then the fairing will just slide forward and then there's enough flex to drop it down to the ground and pull out from one side.
The rear of the fairing, near the seat, hooks into the frame trellis so no other fixings needed.
Old 11-07-17, 07:48 AM   #203
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Don't try and bring my failings into this (I've been hard at work actually, but no progress to show at the moment).
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 12:35 PM   #204
svbmx

So... I decided to get an updated quote from my local powder coater now i had all the parts made and ready to go. This time i sent a few photos along with a better description of parts and material. Unfortunately my powder coat guy has now decided that he feels he wouldn't be able to get a good enough colour match and finish that he'd be happy with. Also, now he feels that the 18 gauge aluminium wouldn't hold up too well when baked, says the metal may deform.

Basically, i now have to rethink what I'm gonna do! The obvious next step would be to get it painted but its likely to cost around £300 and that's an amount i can't afford right now. Plus this whole fairing project was meant to be done on the cheap incase i wasn't happy with the end result!

So far its cost 40 quid all in.

I'm quite liking the bare metal TBH but as it stands it doesn't quite work with the current tank/cowl colour scheme. But maybe i can add some kinda vinyl livery to make it work with the rest of the bike. Perhaps some matching (or as close to matching) blue stripes on the fairing and change the whites stripes on the tank to a brushed aluminium style... a colour opposites kinda thing. Maybe!

Any suggestions?
Old 12-07-17, 12:39 PM   #205
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

It should be an easy enough shape to have a go wrapping it yourself. Won't cost much for material. Colour matching would be tricky though
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 01:15 PM   #206
Hapo

...for now I would just paint it black...

...I would probably spray paint the thing flat black in the garage...

...I want the bike to have a little faring...is it going to get a little faring...???....

...a tiny black bikini, eh...black n blue look the tit's ass to me...
Old 12-07-17, 04:21 PM   #207
svbmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
It should be an easy enough shape to have a go wrapping it yourself. Won't cost much for material. Colour matching would be tricky though
Before my current job (some time ago) i actually worked for a sign maker, producing and applying vehicle livery and such, so I'm all good when it comes to working with vinyl Wrapping the fairing has got to be easier than applying those fender stripes! Much heat was needed, was a b***h!

I think i might have a found a decent blue match by 3M. Have ordered a sample so hopefully that will arrive soon.

I've began drawing up a few different designs, will post shortly when complete.
Old 12-07-17, 05:06 PM   #208
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 06:01 PM   #209
svbmx

Some vinyl wrap ideas...

This first one would require sourcing another tank, and I'd likely make an aluminium seat cowl so not to have to wrap my current setup.

And for the next 2 I'd likely replace the white tank/cowl stripes for a brushed aluminium effect to match with the exposed aluminium on the fairing. Maybe a different style of stripe too. Undecided!

Old 12-07-17, 06:29 PM   #210
Chris_SVS

That third example is mint
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote