SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-05-06, 03:04 PM   #1
muffles

Default paddock stands

i thought they all screwed into the swingarm (ever since i asked what the screw holes were for!) but it looks like you get other ones that just sit under the swing arm, etc.

i want to buy a cheap 2nd hand stand from ebay, so i can do stuff to my chain, but i'm not sure what's suitable...

i'm also a bit worried about how on earth a single person gets the bike on/off the stand without dropping it - any tips!?
Old 14-05-06, 03:10 PM   #2
Carsick

There are types with cups that go under the swingarm and types that hook onto bobbins which you screw onto your swingarm. Both are about as stable as each other, but I think the bobbin type are a bit easier to lift and put down.

Search for paddock stands and you should find a few threads about using them.
Old 14-05-06, 03:33 PM   #3
kwak zzr

ive come close to dropping mine whilst putting it on the stand solo.
Old 14-05-06, 03:36 PM   #4
Speedy
Mega Poster

I've got the type that go under the swing-arm with rubber feet things?!

It cost me £35 from Sealey, You can put it on by yourself,getting it off again is a bit different.

Personally,I get help when putting bike on or off,because I'd be PI**ED if I dropped it!
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-06, 04:13 PM   #5
aej

Default Re: paddock stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles
i'm also a bit worried about how on earth a single person gets the bike on/off the stand without dropping it - any tips!?
1. Hook the stand under the left (lower) side of the swing arm.
2. From the lhs of the bike, hold the rhs of the seat so that you can control the weight.
3. Put slight pressure on the stand handle until the bike is vertical.
4. Pause, make sure the stand is now located correctly under both sides of the swingarm.
4. Press down firmly on the stand handle until it flips over centre.
5. Make sure everything is supported properly before letting go of bike and stand.
6. Step back and admire your handywork.

The reverse procedure is basically......er.......the reverse procedure.

Just make sure that the side stand is down and, when you lift the paddock stand past the over centre point, be prepared for more weight transfer than when lifting. As well as the hand on the seat, you may need to have your hip ready to stop the weight dropping heavily on to the side stand.
Old 14-05-06, 04:27 PM   #6
timwilky
Mega Poster

If you are considering buying a stand.

Spend a fews quid more and get an Abba or NWS stand. I regret buying traditional front/rear stands, althought they are ok to allow you to remove front/read wheels. You cannot do anything with the forks/ swinging arm/ rear shock/ suspension linkage etc.
Old 14-05-06, 04:52 PM   #7
muffles

cheers for the replies - sorry if this is a repeat post, i did search but i guess i was using the wrong terms cos i didn't really find anything - more about buying them and not the stuff about how to actually use them - which i need cos a 2nd hand stand probably doesn't have instructions...

on that, cheers for the info about how to get it on/off too (if i decide to do it alone!) - i was thinking about standing behind the bike, didn't think about standing next to it lol!

what's different with the [design of the] abba/nws stands? I've seen stands on ebay for £10 or so, i really just want something to allow me to jack it up and degrease/grease the chain every now and then...i tried it for the first time today, and rolling it forward repeatedly is just a pain

I'm not sure i'm ready to start pulling the bike apart yet...!
Old 14-05-06, 05:17 PM   #8
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles
cheers for the replies - sorry if this is a repeat post, i did search but i guess i was using the wrong terms cos i didn't really find anything - more about buying them and not the stuff about how to actually use them - which i need cos a 2nd hand stand probably doesn't have instructions...

on that, cheers for the info about how to get it on/off too (if i decide to do it alone!) - i was thinking about standing behind the bike, didn't think about standing next to it lol!

what's different with the [design of the] abba/nws stands? I've seen stands on ebay for £10 or so, i really just want something to allow me to jack it up and degrease/grease the chain every now and then...i tried it for the first time today, and rolling it forward repeatedly is just a pain

I'm not sure i'm ready to start pulling the bike apart yet...!
Just bought an abba stand and it is superb. The was a chap giving a £10 discount from Abba to SV forum members - do a search and drop him a line.

The Abba stand differs because it fits in/over the swingarm bolts on the frame and then acts like a giant centre stand (see abba's website for more details). It is also very easy for 1 person to operate without feeling like you're about to drop it! As Tim said a few posts ago, it allows you to remove the front end and do rear end suspension work, whereas with traditional stands this would be tricky/suicide.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-06, 07:49 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

It's easier to get the bike on a stand if you straighten it up with a bolck of wood or similiar under the sidestand first. Doing it pretty much exactly how AEJ says, I frequently put mine onto and off its cheap wobbly Bike-it rear stand while on crutches, and officially not allowed to put any weight on my right leg Piece of cake.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-06, 09:43 PM   #10
madmal

i had the cups but find the hooks and bobbins easier. lil trick i use is to tie a cloth around throttle and front brake lever as well. no movement from bike at all and keeps stable.