SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-12-18, 05:15 PM   #31
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Spring weight for bike weight.

Short ride out today to get a feel for the suspension changes. Nothing too full on as the roads are wet and slippery, but it's feeling good. Front is no longer sending shockwaves to the back and causing the bike to seesaw. Feels a lot more stable and at one front to back. Still managed to get a few shocks through the forks on bigger bumps, but it settled quickly with no extra up and down movements and as a result the back stayed smooth. I need to ride a bit more in different conditions to get a feel for how the front is reacting at speed and on corners when it's not wet, and then have a think about mixing oil weights a bit maybe. It's definitely very rideable at the moment though and a vast improvement. Between this and the bar conversion it's feeling like a totally different bike... but still with the great engine at the heart of it.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 09:57 PM   #32
glang

Hi Adam, any more test results on your suspension? If your getting shocks on bigger bumps I think the next step will have to be installing emulators (fork valves). These would vent the hydraulic pressure rapidly built up when hitting bumps like the action of cartridge type forks....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 10:49 PM   #33
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I only got a couple of rides in before heading away for Christmas, but definitely noticed an improvement from new springs and oil with rebound holes welded. I'm taking it further though and actualy ordered some of the YSS PD valves a few days ago to try. I also seem to have aquired two good rear shocks at once. Really happy with the ZX10r one that's currently on there, but looks like I'll be selling one of them soon as long as I'm happy with the other one when it's fitted. Plenty to get on with when I'm back home.

One thing I have realised is that the more adjustable I make it, the more it does need correct adjustment. Still a work in progress but very happy with the progress so far and I'd definitely recommend sorting the suspension to anyone thinking about it.

I'll update again when I have the other shock on and YSS valves fitted.
Old 03-01-19, 08:20 AM   #34
glang

Whats the other shock youve sourced?
Old 27-01-19, 06:06 PM   #35
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

First time out on the bike today since I did some more adjustments two weeks ago. I tested it two weeks ago after a few more tweaks, new rear shock on and emulators fitted in the fork with a slightly heavier mix of oil. Front rebound is all good as is compression now (effectively 12.5wt Silkolene oil and YSS valves set near the stock recommended amount of 2 turns in). I had jacked the back right up with the adjustable shock, more than it was with the ZX10r shock that I had fitted as I liked the feel of that so much. I think I overdid it though as it felt like the front wanted to drop in and steer too easily, almost like the front wheel was trying to flip sideways. "Tucking under" I guess. So I wound the adjuster on the rear shock back down from 7mm to about 3mm up from stock. It feels a bit reluctant in corners now though and bike feels kind of low for me again so I'm going to get it back up somewhere inbetween. I could drop the front preload a bit instead, but I'm happy with where that is for static sag, feel and front end height, so I think I'll do the back. I've got a feeling it's going to end up around 4 or 5mm up, similar to where the ZX10r shock put it that I liked so much.

It's amazing what a difference in handling and feel a couple of mm adjustment can make once you know what you're looking for and get a feel for the effect of different heights. I can't believe I rode it for a few years not touching anything and not knowing about any of this.

So, I'm getting there.. very close to being happy with it now.
Old 27-01-19, 11:25 PM   #36
glang

Sounds good Adam but have I missed somewhere what this latest shock is that youve got fitted now?
Old 27-01-19, 11:51 PM   #37
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

It's a Nitron.
Old 28-01-19, 08:03 AM   #38
glang

difficult to say how it compares with the ZX10r unit I suppose with everything else thats going on! Your lucky the Nitron is height adjustable as I dont think thats normally recommended for the SV and it must have pushed the price up even more......
Old 28-01-19, 09:32 AM   #39
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

The Nitrons all have 7mm height adjustment. 1mm down from stock and 6mm up. I've spoken to Nitron about it for advice on the height limits and this one was built by them specced for the SV. It's second hand to me though, via someone who bought it off someone who told them it was for another bike. He sent it to Nitron to look at and they had it on record as not being for his bike and made for an SV and spec all matched up.

In all honesty I should probably have kept the very affordable ZX10r on there and sold the Nitron on to recoup some money, as the way I have it set feels very similar. But I like the Nitron so I'm keeping it and selling the ZX10r instead.
Old 28-01-19, 12:32 PM   #40
glang

Nice, reckon youre all set for a few track days now then!