SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-02-14, 10:29 AM   #11
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Driving in Canada

Beautiful place, big chunk of my family live there. Remember to get your head around four way stops (basically you have to stop, even if you can see nobody is there, and then give way to any vehicle that was there before you) and be prepared to be hooted if you don't turn right on a red light (so don't stop in the nearside lane if you want to go straight on....). Oh and if you do get stopped by the police at night wait to be asked before diving into the glove compartment for the documents.....
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-14, 02:36 PM   #12
Berlin

Are you staying in Vancouver or leaving as soon as your plane arrives? Planning when to get out of Vancouver is fairly important. The rush hour can be epic.

There are two ways to get out of Vancouer to the North. One, head over to highway One (The Trans Canada) or the more touristy route is to heady up the 99 from the airport which goes through downtown and over the lions gate bridge. The Signposts for the 99 are about 15-20 ft up random lamposts and about 12" square. Not easy to find in some places. But you'll be ok.

IMPORTANT! You can turn right on a red light. However, the walk sign also comes on for the people crossing at the same time as the green light, but it may also be in when you're trying to turn right on a red. Pedestrians ALWAYS have right of way. If you're going to turn into a junction or an hotel entrance, you must ALWAYS yield to the pedestrian. They go first and might not even look for you.

At that time of year, expect bears on the road and moose, and Elk, and deer. Once you're out of the city on the sea to Sky highway (the road to Whistler) at that time of year, you'll need to be ready to stop for them. Don't hit a Moose! it'll be the last thing you ever do!

You can't turn left in downtown Vancouver during the day, you have to turn right, then right, then right to get onto that street. However, each street running North south is one way and they alternate from north to south. So trying to turn left onto the actual road you want can be a challenge and in 20 years i still haven't figured out how to do this first time :-0

Like the Uk, you can drive about 10mph (15km, our clocks are in km) over the speed limit. if you get to 25 over, you're asking for a ticket and speeding tickets in Canada are HUGE!! No 60 quid and a fixed penalty here. It will stay on your record for ever over here and although they can't actuallly make you pay in the Uk, they can make it difficult to hire another car if you ever come back again. expect a $300 fine for speeding, if you get less, its a bonus NEVER go over 30 in a school zone. Speed fines double and that's usually where they sit!

Enjoy your trip. You'll have a fantastic time. Hertz do a sat nav in the car. very handy. At that time of year the Grizzlys are out on the slops at Whistler and you can take the cable car over them and watch the cubs.( April-May, depending on snow)

C

Last edited by Berlin; 15-02-14 at 02:41 PM.
Old 15-02-14, 02:48 PM   #13
Ch00

Cheers for that Berlin

We are staying on Granville St/Davie St across the road from Enterprise car rental!
Old 16-02-14, 06:27 AM   #14
Berlin

Easy then, head up Howe St, then turn left (west) on W. Georgia St, over the bridge, follow the signs for whistler and you're on your way.
Old 24-03-14, 10:37 AM   #15
Ch00

Plans have changed now massively due to Cosmos cancelling the holiday.

Not to fear fly drive is the way forward!!!

Berlin you have a PM!!
Old 09-06-14, 03:23 PM   #16
Ch00

Just back from the two week fly drive. What an epic place, like the countryside of Scotland but 100 times bigger.

Mountains still had snow cap on them.

No issues driving their driving and how they treat peds and traffic lights is a good idea.

We had a Dodge Charger for the time and it was like driving a powerfull jelly once you got use to roll.

Hope to go back in a couple of years if we can save like crazy
Old 10-06-14, 11:44 PM   #17
Berlin

Well the question is... Why don't you move here? The Economy is booming, Every business I know is looking for someone and is willing to pay for the visa application. Petrol is 60p a litre and the wages are double that in the UK. We just bought a 6 bedroom house with mountain views for less than 120K . Let me know what you do for a living and I can try and put you in touch with someone looking for your skills.

This offer also goes out to any other Orgers who also fancy flitting the UK.

C
Old 11-06-14, 08:40 AM   #18
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Are you in BC? I thoughtit was pretty pricey
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 09:58 AM   #19
Tomor
Mega Poster

Beers not cheap

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-14, 03:46 PM   #20
Berlin

Do you spend more on beer than petrol?

For every quid you spend on petrol you're saving a quid compared to the UK. I pay $27 ish for a 12 pack of Stella (because I drink the posh stuff). So 15 English quid compare to? But every time I fill the 90 litre tank on the car it costs me 40 quid. can you remember when filling a family car cost 40 quid? And technically I'm earning double the wage so its realistically only 20 quid

Food is expensive, I'll give you that...

But you get to live in paradise so who cares? :0)

If you're a tradesman, you could walk into a job tomorrow and still have a great work/life balance, a truck, boat, RV, Skidoo, Seadoo, quad, etc., etc., etc.

C