SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-08-14, 02:09 PM   #21
goodgumbo

Default Re: Road tax and used cars-new rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
I have done some digging and it seems when you sell a car, you can claim a refund on however much tax is left depending on how you pay. If you buy a car second hand, then you have to tax it via the post office or online before you can drive away.
Including the drive back from collecting it?
Old 13-08-14, 04:38 PM   #22
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
another busy day for you is it spank?
Every day's busy but I have to wait for my test equipment to do it's thing, can take up to 5 mins at a time.

The DVLA seem to think theres a significant difference between the cars owner and the registered keeper. I was wondering which the road tax rules apply to.

Last edited by Spank86; 13-08-14 at 04:39 PM.
Old 13-08-14, 04:42 PM   #23
goodgumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
are the Gov taking the fekin pizz, https://www.youtube.com/user/DVLAgov is supposed to 'explain' about the new methods. instead we get a Geordie who i cant understand a word he is saying and from the odd word here and there i get the feeling he wants to make love to the big tax disc.
Not sure if that video is pure genius or pure retard. WTF
Old 14-08-14, 01:43 AM   #24
Berlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

are the Gov taking the fekin pizz, https://www.youtube.com/user/DVLAgov is supposed to 'explain' about the new methods. instead we get a Geordie who i cant understand a word he is saying and from the odd word here and there i get the feeling he wants to make love to the big tax disc.
As a Geordie, can I just point out that he's WELSH!

Thank you,
C
Old 14-08-14, 07:43 AM   #25
MrFurious

Just seen some of the DVLA paper work around our office. Looks like you'll get an automatic refund without applying for one if DVLA receive a notification that:
  • vehicle has been sold or transferred
  • vehicle has been scrapped at an Authorised Treatment Facility
  • vehicle has been exported
  • vehicle has been stolen
  • vehicle has been removed from the road and the person on the vehicle register has made a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)
  • person on the vehicle register has changed the tax class on the vehicle to an exempt duty tax class
at least you don't have to apply for a refund.
Old 14-08-14, 08:44 AM   #26
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I have just queued up at the Post Office and been issued with a little round piece of paper for the very last time. I had to buy 6 months tax for the SV so I can transfer my LPH plate over to my GS before I sell the SV as they won't let you do it on a SORN'd vehicle. However, the lady behind the counter mentioned that as far as she's aware we won't be able to buy 6 months tax in the near future, not sure if that is correct, but for those who tax their bikes April - September then SORN over the winter this could mean a bit more faffing.
Old 14-08-14, 09:07 AM   #27
flymo
Mega Poster

not sure that much has really changed here. Currently it is typical to include the remaining tax as part of the sale, or as many do, use it as a negotiating point. "I can drop the price further but only if I dont include the tax...." etc.

So with future rules, it sounds like the buyer/seller dont have a choice to include that. You own it during that month, you pay the tax. Simple. Basically treats tax in a similar way to insurance.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-14, 09:47 AM   #28
Dipper

It would appear though that in the month when a car is sold tax will be paid twice, currently the DVLA will only refund complete months and you can only buy tax for complete months ....unless this is going to change.
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-14, 09:53 AM   #29
flymo
Mega Poster

as is the case today if you apply for a tax disc refund during sale.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-14, 11:55 AM   #30
Kenzie

Just spotted this in the bike talk section, seems you have to tax a vehicle before you can use it as the tax in non-transferable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesW View Post
Bin your fancy anodised and carbon tax disc holders ...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote