SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-04-15, 01:40 PM   #11
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Happy News

These things exist on a scale, with your Fox news / Daily mail "we're all going to die because of liberals" on one side, and sites like http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org at the other.

Pick a source you like the feel of

Jambo

Last edited by jambo; 14-04-15 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Linked to wrong site
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-15, 03:37 PM   #12
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettus View Post
I opted out of news ages ago (around 2 years at least).
i have not bought a news paper in about 20 years. only time i watch the news is when its between programs and i happen to be in the room and even then i usually get up and walk out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
thanks Jambo, thats right up my street
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-15, 06:07 AM   #13
Berlin

Yahoo Canada has a good news page
Old 15-04-15, 10:34 AM   #14
ClunkintheUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettus View Post
I opted out of news ages ago (around 2 years at least) and found I'm much happier for it. I no longer hear about babies being abused until death, people being missing and bodies later found, people being run over etc. (I question why I'd need to know of that in the first place) Not to mention the atrocities in other countries that I can do even less about.

I dipped my toe back in when someone mentioned the german plane and soon wished I hadn't, turned out not a mechanical failing (which might've been pertinent to me) but a human failing that made me incredibly sad once more.

That said, it's definitely a choice you can make, not watch, vote with your feet (or eyes) and if you don't tune in and are the majority they'll change. If you are in the minority then you've got your choice.
I know what you mean Brettus. I opted out of news about 2 years ago too, unfortunately with the general election coming up, I have found that I want to know what they are saying. Not that I believe them, but I think there are major changes needed and the only way to be involved is to first know what is publicly going on. The way they use stats alone, however, is enough to drive me to distraction.
Old 15-04-15, 11:01 AM   #15
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i have not bought a news paper in about 20 years. only time i watch the news is when its between programs and i happen to be in the room and even then i usually get up and walk out.
I get my local newspaper delivered, as it tells me whats going on in my part of the world, but I haven't purchased a national newspaper in years, I can't remember the last time.

Occasionally I'll pick up a free one in a hotel, just for something to do, usually its the Independent.

Occasionally I'll read my colleagues Daily Mail, just to see how bad tabloid news has really got

I'd rather watch Homes under the Hammer, than the morning BBC news. There's no chance of me watching ITV Good Morning
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-15, 10:36 PM   #16
DJFridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i have not bought a news paper in about 20 years.
Not just me then. I'm fairly sure that the last paper I bought was probably the Daily Sport when I was a student nearly 25 years ago. I didn't trust papers even then and the Sport was at least honest in it's b0ll0cks. Now, I have tv news on over breakfast and then I scan various news sites in the evening to catch up. Other than that, just bulletins on the radio if I happen to be listening.

A bit more positive news for a change would be great, there is plenty about but, as others have said, bad news sells better
Old 18-04-15, 10:58 AM   #17
daveangel

I tend to look at the teletext, pick and choose the relevant stories to know whats happened and ignore the filler. Hate the dumbing down of reporting, especially when the winter weather comes and a reporter clad in Berghaus gets sent halfway up a big hill to tell us it's snowing.
A bike-riding friend of mine who is a long-time Bradford fan and was close by where the fire broke out that day is very upset by what has been dragged up by the media so near to the 30th anniversary.

'99 'curvy' SV650S, R&G Bobbins, Renegade Endcan, no anodised bling. .
daveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-15, 11:17 AM   #18
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Happy News

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveangel View Post
I tend to look at the teletext.

Ay up grandad!
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-15, 06:10 PM   #19
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveangel View Post
Hate the dumbing down of reporting, especially when the winter weather comes and a reporter clad in Berghaus gets sent halfway up a big hill to tell us it's snowing.
Yep, its one of my pet hates
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote