SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-04-19, 08:58 PM   #11
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Today, I have been mostly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
For the record I hate gardening
That's a shame as I had us all booked on for a surprise afternoon gardening workshop at the BPW Mav!

garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-19, 09:19 PM   #12
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Another 3 or 4 hours spent on the veg plot prep this afternoon, mostly digging over the lower of the three beds. I'm just over three quarters of the way there on this bed now.

I was slowed down by the need to dig out some monster hogweed roots, and also by having to relocate some of the dozens of Aquilegia plants which have self set in the veg beds. The Aquilegia is too nice to just chuck in the compost bin so I have saved a few of them to temporary locations. I'll transplant them to a more permanent home a bit later.

I've also had to make some temporary repairs to the supporting revetment of the lower bed where some of the timber has rotted out. As long as I can afford it, there will be a serious programme of replacement of the timber at the end of this season.

My mate is coming down tomorrow and we'll place the order for our seeds. When I had a look on the website on Saturday I noticed a couple of the varieties we had chosen were out of stock so we'll need to decide on replacement varieties.

I'm going to sow the beans in toilet roll tubes which can then just be planted straight into the ground once they've germinated to save root disturbance. The peas will be sown into a plastic gutter full of compost. When they are ready to go out I can then just slide them out of the gutter and into a shallow trench.

Hoping for some decent weather tomorrow so I can finish the lower veg bed and start constructing some pallet compost bins.

I think I may be a bit stiff tomorrow morning as all my digging came after a pretty hilly run this morning!
Old 08-04-19, 06:22 PM   #13
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Gary

Try using kitchen roll tubes instead of bog roll for your beans - the longer tubes help the roots more and of course I'm sure you know how amazingly quick the roots start poking out of the bottom anyway.
Old 08-04-19, 06:41 PM   #14
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Very productive day today. My friend and I ordered all our seeds, then it was up onto the veg plot for me.

A bit more digging on the lower bed. Nearly finished this bed now; one more good session will see it completed.

Lower veg bed
by garynortheast

Turned my attention to the young hazel at the top of the plot. I've coppiced it for the poles for my runner beans. My neighbour Diane is going to come round with her chainsaw and tidy up the stool so that it regrows properly. It's hard to make a tidy job with just a bow saw.

Coppiced hazel
by garynortheast

I needed some of the thicker pieces of wood from the hazel so that I can pin this into place. New compost bin in a more convenient location.

Compost bin
by garynortheast

Next to be dealt with was one of the pear trees which had thrown up a mass of shoots from the base and was stopping me from getting at the lower veg bed. Some of the shoots had layer rooted so I yanked them out and gave them to my neighbour. A quick pruning and the tree looks much better.

Pear tree
by garynortheast

While I was in a pruning mood I had a go at my poor old, canker ridden Fiesta apple tree. Pruned out most of the worst affected parts and gave it a general tidy up.

Fiesta apple tree
by garynortheast

Went and inspected my rhubarb patch too. After pulling the dead bracken away and clearing back the yellow arcangel I discovered a very happy looking rhubarb patch, with lots of young shoots all ready to harvest.

Rhubarb
by garynortheast

My very untidy gooseberry bushes are next on the list. I grew these from cuttings taken in 1997 from a very old (possibly 50 or 60 back then) bush in the garden of another house I was then living in here in the village. They are dessert gooseberries and crop heavily with very large, sweet, pink fruit that you can pick and eat straight off of the bush.

G
Gooseberry bushes
by garynortheast

Hoping to snatch a couple more hours tomorrow to finish digging the lower veg bed.
Old 08-04-19, 10:18 PM   #15
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Gary

Try using kitchen roll tubes instead of bog roll for your beans - the longer tubes help the roots more and of course I'm sure you know how amazingly quick the roots start poking out of the bottom anyway.
That's a useful tip Trev. I'll have to see if I can get hold of a few kitchen roll tubes though as we don't use the stuff normally.
Old 09-04-19, 01:09 PM   #16
maviczap
Mega Poster

This morning I have mostly been sorting out the 'Pain Cave'
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-19, 02:30 PM   #17
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Before and after pictures Mav?
Old 09-04-19, 05:11 PM   #18
maviczap
Mega Poster

None of before Gary, I'll post some after ones
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-19, 06:50 PM   #19
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Nicely done Gary. I'll try to get a pic of my raised beds over the weekend - only got the early spuds in so far and the resident foxes, badgers and squirrels keep digging in everything which is getting worse!
Old 09-04-19, 09:27 PM   #20
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Nicely done Gary. I'll try to get a pic of my raised beds over the weekend - only got the early spuds in so far and the resident foxes, badgers and squirrels keep digging in everything which is getting worse!
It's coming along Trev. Fixed the four sides of my compost bin together this evening and it's now half full. I have another couple of bins to make yet and a black plastic one with a lid to move down from the top of the garden.

Didn't I read somewhere that you can buy sacks of lion poo which is supposed to deter foxes and badgers?