SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-04-19, 09:46 AM   #11
Othen

Default Re: Exhaust Muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
Thats a plan then. Please keep us informed on how the can rebuild goes including the packing used and some photos would be even better!

Of course,that is the value of this forum: all sharing our experience for mutual benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 19-04-19, 09:52 AM   #12
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
I fitted a cheap Chinaprovich end can to my Curvy as for me the Stock can was too quiet.It did not affect the performance either way as far as I could tell.

It's not that loud but loud enough to give warnings to walkers and Horse riders on some of the small country roads I ride which the stock can doesn't.

This is inside my garage so a bit more amplified and the top end tinny frequencies are enhanced by the cheap camera mics than when outside.It's only really louder when revved and quite well behaved otherwise,

and here's the stock can,

The stock cans are very very quiet.

Thank you for that, i think perhaps the Fuel muffler is louder than both.

Old 19-04-19, 01:23 PM   #13
aesmith

With a previous bike it had a Remus exhaust, and they would have supplied a repacking kit with rivets and packing material. I didn't go for it in the end, just got used to the noise.

On my current 650S L2 I swapped back to the standard exhaust and find I prefer it. To me a quiet exhaust make the bike feel faster as it makes less "fuss" about accelerating.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-19, 01:41 PM   #14
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
With a previous bike it had a Remus exhaust, and they would have supplied a repacking kit with rivets and packing material. I didn't go for it in the end, just got used to the noise.

On my current 650S L2 I swapped back to the standard exhaust and find I prefer it. To me a quiet exhaust make the bike feel faster as it makes less "fuss" about accelerating.

That is interesting - someone has already switched back to a standard muffler, I feel less daft about doing it now!

I’ll still have a go at improving the Fuel exhaust to make it acceptably quiet whilst it is off the bike. I may give the company a call to see if it sells a repair kit.

Old 19-04-19, 02:00 PM   #15
Othen

Further to the above, I’ve just had a look on the Fuel website and I see it sells the replacement wadding material for £16, or a kit with a drill bit and half a dozen pop rivets for £21 (sort of expensive drill bit and pop rivets).

Obviously the muffler is designed to come apart with just a bit of drilling, which is encouraging. When I’ve swapped the muffler for the Suzuki one I’ll take it apart and see what condition the wadding is in, and make a decision as to whether it is worth renovating.

I have a feeling I might be happier with the stock exhaust.

Old 19-04-19, 02:46 PM   #16
aesmith

Remember you'll need a joiner to reconnect the original, because it will have been removed by cutting the pipe. Joiner
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-19, 02:47 PM   #17
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Remember you'll need a joiner to reconnect the original, because it will have been removed by cutting the pipe. Joiner

I have one of those.

Old 22-04-19, 08:42 AM   #18
Othen

Default Exhaust Muffler

An update: I swapped the Fuel muffler:

... back to the original Suzuki this morn, I noticed that the OEM item weighed about twice as much as the Fuel one, but it was much better finished:

The whole job took about 5 minutes thanks to the very good re-connection sleeve I had already purchased from Fuel (for about a tenner - very good indeed):

The original pipe looks fine:

and the biggest advantage is... it is acceptably quiet (which the Fuel muffler was not), indeed I’d say it is very pleasantly quiet. As long as there is no adverse effect (a very significant drop in performance or gas economy) I can’t ever see myself going back to the Fuel muffler:

I will take it apart on the bench (probably this afternoon) and see if it is worth renovating though. I’ll take some photos throughout and report back.

Now I’m going to try out my much quieter bike, so far this has been a good day

Last edited by Othen; 22-04-19 at 10:16 AM.
Old 22-04-19, 09:39 AM   #19
Othen

Continued: using the Fuel muffler the K6 covered 70 miles on 7 litres (1.54 gallons) of gas. I make that 46 MPG, which is probably okay for a mixture of riding around town and dual carriageways.

I’ve just taken the bike out for a spin and there is no discernible difference in performance with the Suzuki muffler fitted, just a great deal less noise so everything seems a bit less frantic.

I’ve decided I quite like the look of the standard muffler on the bike as well:

I’m quite pleased the previous owner fitted the Fuel muffler early on in the life of the bike - it means I have an almost new one on my 13 year old motorcycle now.

I will still take the Fuel muffler apart and see if it would be economically viable to renovate it.

I’m even happier with my (quiet) K6 now

Old 22-04-19, 11:31 AM   #20
Craig380
Mega Poster

I always liked the standard bazooka on my K6. I even like the stock exhaust on my AL7, and have no plans to change even though there's no cutting involved on the Gen 3 bikes.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote