SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-06-17, 08:43 PM   #11
SheepShagger

Default Re: Slipping Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by synXero View Post
Oil wise I'm pretty clued up having owned fast cars for 5+ years. No worries there. I've changed the oil in the bike a few months ago.

That clutch mantra thread / associated video should sort me out I reckon. How many hours work is there in this...? Hopefully I can get some time for it!
Less than half hour.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-17, 09:38 PM   #12
Bibio
Mega Poster

top tip, when taking the gear selector off the splined shaft mark the shaft with something (felt pen, scribe) so it marks the position. that way you know exactly where to put it back.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-17, 10:40 PM   #13
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by synXero View Post
Oil wise I'm pretty clued up having owned fast cars for 5+ years. No worries there. I've changed the oil in the bike a few months ago.

That clutch mantra thread / associated video should sort me out I reckon. How many hours work is there in this...? Hopefully I can get some time for it!
Max an hour or well less 2nd time.Just take the plastic side cover off and do the adjustments at the gear lever end.This is THE most important area.This also includes resetting the gear shift leaver height to your foot/boots.Me got big feet for my height(Size 11) and me always wear the boots.

Also I had to take off the Bright nut on the shifter arm and clean the whole area with Carb/Brake cleaner and the secure the nut and washer as it was a little loose.As it's low torque I just used my old knowledge e,g decent feel hand-tight using the knuckle of my socket wrench and lubed with lithium grease.

Although recently new to the SV family of Motorcycles the clutch and gear-change set-up is quite sensitive inasmuch as it needs getting right but once it is it's superbly slick.When you get the bottom area right you can use the Clutch lever adjuster as a final tweak but the Bottom end MUST be right first.
Old 19-06-17, 11:25 PM   #14
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
top tip, when taking the gear selector off the splined shaft mark the shaft with something (felt pen, scribe) so it marks the position. that way you know exactly where to put it back.
+10
Old 20-06-17, 10:07 AM   #15
synXero

Thankya thankya thankya. I think I'll have a go this evening if it only takes an hour!

Bike is relatively hard to get into neutral too, so I think you all may be right and it'll just be cables. I suppose if it doesn't fix it, at least I tried the free option first!
Old 20-06-17, 11:54 AM   #16
Blapper

So you know your SH from your SM eh? Good. Although I don't know what owning a fast car has to do with knowledge of oil...

Proper clutch adjust takes an hour first time, but stripping/cleaning/greasing (moly grease) lift mech adds another hour. All quicker with practice.

Last edited by Blapper; 20-06-17 at 11:57 AM.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-17, 08:30 AM   #17
synXero

I only meant that I've been doing maintenance on high spec cars for a few years now!

Anyway, I set about some clutch adjustment yesterday. It's a nice job to do, very simple really, and bikes are so lovely to work on!!

Neutral shift has been improved 500%, wow. It was worth it just for that. Clutch slip seems to be gone, I think, at least at moderate RPM on the way in this morning. I haven't tried a high RPM fourth gear pull etc. yet. But low RPM wide throttle pulls in third seem immeasurably improved, and second gear can be WOT to redline without slipping, it seems. I'm hesitant because there may still be just a little bit. Also I think the cable is at the end of its life for sure. I feel like both adjusters are at their maximum, or near enough. I presume replacing the clutch cable isn't particularly difficult...?

Stuff down there was DIRTY:

Adjusted and cleaned up as much as I could manage:

Gratuitous shot of my lovely new brake discs

And one clean(...er), happier Suzi:

Thanks for all your help gents.
Old 21-06-17, 08:51 AM   #18
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I haven't changed the clutch cable on mine yet.I have a new one to go in but I've done loads on my other bikes over the years and use the same old trick on cables.

I disconnect at both ends but don't pull the cable out.Then I tape the new cable to the old cable using some masking tape/adhesive tape.Then pull the old cable up through and out of the top and guide the new cable through.That way I never mess up the cable routing.

The Cable routing on my old CX500s could be a real nightmare.

HTH
Old 21-06-17, 10:31 AM   #19
synXero

Absolutely, that's how I've always done it on bicycles, I figured it would work on the SV too!

Do the cables come with the ends already fixed, or is it a case of buying a length of cable, fixing the ends, etc...? edit: I have just read a few little guides. Sounds easy. I think I'll get the cable ordered and do this one day when I have a free day to play with a bunch of maintenance jobs.

As I say, I think my bike is showing evidence of having had a hard life for the last two years or so. I shall restore her to true glory though! Albeit gradually.

Next on the list, after tail tidy, is probably rear discs and pads actually... They look a bit grotty.

Last edited by synXero; 21-06-17 at 10:36 AM.
Old 21-06-17, 10:40 AM   #20
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

The one I bought of eBay is ready to fit for my 1999 curvy.I use a mix of 3-in-1 oil and a bit of moly as a pre-lube and let the new cable hang in my garage until it drips out of the bottom.

Seems ok,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV-...53.m2749.l2649

and I've never had anything but good parts and service from Wemoto,

http://www.wemoto.com/

but I'll take the old one off and keep it as a spare under the seat methinks.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 21-06-17 at 10:41 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote