SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-08-17, 09:50 PM   #21
Heorot

Default Re: Buying a used SV650 - find a mechanic

Ebay was where I got my bike from 5 years ago. I looked at classified as well but was picky and waited until the right bike came along; a naked K3 with just under 7000 miles on the clock. Fender xtender, crash bungs, Oxford heated grips (wired to the ignition) and a double bubble screen. I waited until there was only 30 seconds left to go and got it for £1500.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-17, 10:09 PM   #22
korre

Thanks for the link Craigg! Sadly that ship has sailed, but plenty more fish in the sea...hopefully!

I hadn't thought to post links to the potential purchase, but I might do that going forward as you guys pick up on things I definitely wouldn't (e.g. potentially after market forks and its had a slip on).

650 - that's very generous of you! If I find a bike near you then I will definitely take you up on the offer, even though I'm armed with some new knowledge from you guys, would still be great to have an owner with me .

Heorot - I'll start trawling eBay going forward, I have currently limited my search to gumtree and autotrader.

DAS course starts tomorrow...nervous/excited to start!
Old 13-08-17, 11:39 AM   #23
Heorot

There are always plenty of SV's for sale on Ebay so you can afford to wait for the right one for you. Personally, I would recommend buying a K3 upwards model as these have electronic ignition instead of a carburetter. The K3 is a halfway house between the curvy and pointy. The K4 and upwards has the full pointy package.

Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Old 13-08-17, 09:31 PM   #24
Mega Poster

Carbs make for an infinitely smoother, less snatchy ride (not that the pointy is super snatchy, mind you). While the curvy bikes are getting on a bit, a good curvy isn't hard to find and they don't take a lot of maintenance. In fact, if you ride the bike once in a blue moon and don't allow fuel to turn to glue, the carbs will be good for a lifetime. The seal kits aren't hard to find in case they're an issue.

There's also no halfway house between a curvy and a pointy, the K3 quite simply IS a pointy.
Old 13-08-17, 10:49 PM   #25
korre

Personally, I prefer the look of the pointy models, so for now I will be sticking to post 2003. About to trawl ebay before bed...
Old 13-08-17, 11:24 PM   #26
Heorot

Some parts of the K3 are a holdover from the curvy. (like the rearsets and radiator). The subframe is also angled up higher than 2004+ models. The different subframe has year-specific parts, such as the rider seat, plastic frame covers, exhaust hanger brackets and passenger pegs.
For 2004, Suzuki used a new, 40 mm lower subframe and a seat with a narrower design in the front.This made flat footing easier for shorter riders. The trail was raised by 2 mm, and the rear fender was restyled to clean up the area under the tail lights and provide more protection against flying debris.

Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Old 14-08-17, 12:31 PM   #27
Mega Poster

I know, still doesn't make the K3 a curvy, or some kind of half way house. It's a pointy.
Old 14-08-17, 02:06 PM   #28
andy650

Yup, a K3 is a pointy.

A good curvy for (say) £1500 is a better buy than a mediocre pointy for £1500.

But if you prefer the styling of a pointy then go for it. Don't let curvy carbs put you off, as 650 says carbs are actually very little hassle and IMHO are nicer to ride than fuel injected bikes.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-17, 03:45 PM   #29
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
Carbs make for an infinitely smoother, less snatchy ride (not that the pointy is super snatchy, mind you). While the curvy bikes are getting on a bit, a good curvy isn't hard to find and they don't take a lot of maintenance. In fact, if you ride the bike once in a blue moon and don't allow fuel to turn to glue, the carbs will be good for a lifetime. The seal kits aren't hard to find in case they're an issue.

There's also no halfway house between a curvy and a pointy, the K3 quite simply IS a pointy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy650 View Post
Yup, a K3 is a pointy.

A good curvy for (say) £1500 is a better buy than a mediocre pointy for £1500.

But if you prefer the styling of a pointy then go for it. Don't let curvy carbs put you off, as 650 says carbs are actually very little hassle and IMHO are nicer to ride than fuel injected bikes.
It all depends on what you want it for, spend a lot of time around town you may find the 'snatchiness' or lack of it matters more than if most miles will be open road, injected bikes seem to do better in the MPG department and lack of choke and easy starting (normally) and better cold running make them attractive to some. In my experience of Redex or STP cleaner in the petrol keeps carbs or injectors in good shape and free from gum / lacquer (and will most times sort out neglected carbs at minimum cost and hassle). I ride a 2016 L7 and low throttle has been pretty much sorted but it can catch you sometimes, but slipping clutch a bit helps in low speed manoeuvres.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 14-08-17 at 03:49 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-17, 05:12 PM   #30
Bibio
Mega Poster

the snatchy throttle on the pointy can be fixed by adjusting the TPS properly.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote