SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-06-05, 08:18 PM   #1
Supadan

Default Clutch slipping?

Whilst out on the road this evening having my butt soundly wipped by e.d. I noticed a strange issue when riding hard. With the throttle full open in 5th and 6th it gets to about 8,000 rpm and then the revs climb quickly to 9,000 and then drop back down as the bike speeds up. It feels like the clutch is slipping although this is not evident in lower gears. My only other comment is that she has been clunking and slightly lurching into first from neutral of late and I wonder whether the clutch needs a little adjustment. She's probably due for a new clutch at 34,000 +, although i'll do the adjustment first anyway. Other than clutch causes does anyone know whether it could be anything else?

Thanks

Dan
Old 08-06-05, 08:23 PM   #2
jon

I'll second the clutch, it'll start showing in the powerband of the highest gear first (ie, your exact symptom).

Unless of course you're spinning the rear up
Old 08-06-05, 08:27 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Make sure there is correct free play in cable(bottom end as well)and have you got fully synthetic oil in it?That can cause slip.If thats all ok then you could be shopping for a new clutch.
Old 08-06-05, 08:37 PM   #4
Supadan

Thanks, I did not realise the oil thing. She is full of semi. I will change that at the same time I look at the clutch. Any recommendations on brand/product for oil? Also, if I am changing the clutch, is there any aftermarket units that are good or should I go standard?

Last question, I have no time to do this for a week or so (and I do not own a c*r.) Assuming I ride her gently, can I do any lasting damage?

Dan
Old 08-06-05, 08:43 PM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Semi synthetic is the right oil,its the fully synthetic thats too slippery.It should keep going a while if you treat it gently but dont quote me on that from the hard shoulder!
Old 08-06-05, 08:46 PM   #6
Supadan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
Semi synthetic is the right oil,its the fully synthetic thats too slippery.It should keep going a while if you treat it gently but dont quote me on that from the hard shoulder!
Cheers. I won't quote you. I just need to get to work a few times before I can get it done. I would'nt have noticed if e.d. had'nt taught me to ride like a sith!

Dan
Old 08-06-05, 08:52 PM   #7
Stig

If you find that you need a new clutch, DON'T go to the same garage as James did
Old 08-06-05, 08:53 PM   #8
jon

Quote:
I hear that so often but my sv has had fully synth castrol for the past 10,000 miles without a problem. I'd have thought they'd have made fully synth motorcycle oil workable with wet clutches what with most bikes having them... or do you mean this is a SV / Suzuki problem?
Old 09-06-05, 05:38 AM   #9
RandyO

Default Re: Clutch slipping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supadan
Whilst out on the road this evening having my butt soundly wipped by e.d. I noticed a strange issue when riding hard. With the throttle full open in 5th and 6th it gets to about 8,000 rpm and then the revs climb quickly to 9,000 and then drop back down as the bike speeds up. It feels like the clutch is slipping although this is not evident in lower gears. My only other comment is that she has been clunking and slightly lurching into first from neutral of late and I wonder whether the clutch needs a little adjustment. She's probably due for a new clutch at 34,000 +, although i'll do the adjustment first anyway. Other than clutch causes does anyone know whether it could be anything else?

Thanks

Dan
have you ever adjusted you clutch?

I got over 100,000 miles before I had to replace any clutch parts
Old 09-06-05, 09:48 AM   #10
Valman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon
Quote:
I hear that so often but my sv has had fully synth castrol for the past 10,000 miles without a problem. I'd have thought they'd have made fully synth motorcycle oil workable with wet clutches what with most bikes having them... or do you mean this is a SV / Suzuki problem?
You can use fully synthetic oil with wet clutches. You just need to make sure that it doesn't have any special additives or make sure you go for something designed for bikes as the extra additives are what make the clutch slip. All oils of the same grade, e.g. 10w-40, will be of the same viscosity regardless of whether it is fully synthetic or semi synthetic.