SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-11-08, 10:15 PM   #1
Zokambaa

Default Question about gen1 to gen2 transition

I am thinking of getting another SV650 as my 99 was written off in an accident... now I am wondering how much difference there is between 99 and the latest models...

I test drove a 2008 with ABS and the whole body kit... it's a good deal but when I was riding it, the thing felt gutless down low... my 99, while it didn't want to easily lift the tire the way I rode it, it had waaay more kick to it.. I would crack the throttle in the lower gears and it would launch forward... it always felt it had power, even though on the dyno at my altitude of 3500ft it only hit 65hp or so... I thought the new ones had more power...

I am going to test drive some more gen2 bikes but that one felt like someone put the sv650 engine in the bigger sv1000 frame and it felt like it had to be overly reved to gain any power... and with the stock tire and bridgestone front it felt like it wanted to stand up in the corners

So I have to ask anyone who has made the transition... did they find that the 99-2002 SV650s bikes to be way more flickable and more sling shot type than the 2004-2008 ones?
Zokambaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-08, 10:28 PM   #2
zsv650

Default Re: Question about gen1 to gen2 transition

other way round for me the old curvy i had wouldnt tip nearly as quickly as this one does probably more to do with this pointy being a nekkid and the old one a s.
Old 18-11-08, 10:32 PM   #3
Zokambaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650 View Post
other way round for me the old curvy i had wouldnt tip nearly as quickly as this one does probably more to do with this pointy being a nekkid and the old one a s.

I dunno.. my SV650s felt like it would fall into corners but once you got into it, it would hold real well... regardless of the tires.. granted when they squared off they would stand up a bit more but not like this one...

and the power is what gets me.... on my 99 every time I cracked the throttle, it would go... right now... this 2008 feels like it will go.. eventually...

I didn't get to hit the twisty roads like I would have liked.. but I know my 99 handled waaaay better and had more lower end power even on stock jets/mains etc..
Old 18-11-08, 10:38 PM   #4
zsv650

summats wrong with that pointy then that or this nekkids got a rocket shoved up it's ****.
Old 18-11-08, 10:40 PM   #5
aarond

is/was your gearing standard on both bikes?
Old 18-11-08, 10:44 PM   #6
Zokambaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650 View Post
summats wrong with that pointy then that or this nekkids got a rocket shoved up it's ****.

I'm thinking so... as I thought the new ones slightly edged out the 1st gen bikes in most areas... Perhaps I felt like I was going more as my full hindle exhaust was a lot louder... but it had a lot of pull on the arms when I cracked the throttle.. this didn't... perhaps it didn't break in well... or perhaps my Hindle exhaust gave me a more abrupt torque curve even though it still didn't give me more than 65hp on the dyno... they say they are giving us SVrider.com guys a deal at 5500 rather than the 7000 they had it for in the local classifieds... but I am thinking they just want to get rid of it... I did notice it smoking in their youtube video... but they say that was when they put the new exhaust pipe on it... and I didn't see any extra carbon or smoking when I rode it today... but who knows

I guess I have a few more to test out before I make my decision... I did kind of like the ABS brakes though
Old 18-11-08, 10:46 PM   #7
Zokambaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad53ggz View Post
is/was your gearing standard on both bikes?

The 2008 is standard gearing... but when my SV650s had the original sprockets on , it still felt like it hauled ass... then I put 15f/46r on mine and it didn't feel too much different a little better but not huge... even when I compare this one to how mine was at with 15f/44R it still isn't close.. Did they change the 2008 to have a 16f or something?
Old 18-11-08, 11:13 PM   #8
aarond

dont know mate was just a thought sorry
Old 18-11-08, 11:16 PM   #9
Zokambaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad53ggz View Post
dont know mate was just a thought sorry

maybe yellow is just that much faster than the new purplish-blue ones
Old 18-11-08, 11:58 PM   #10
aarond

you might be on to something there.. have you had a go of any other bikes maybe it is just your perception?