SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-02-09, 10:35 PM   #1
s.j.robson@bt

Default Tyres

Hi

Can anyone help.....
I am thinking of changing the front tyre on my sv650.
It has the standard size tyre on it from new (the bike has only done 700 miles) and i would like to change it for something that looks and feels a bit more substantial !
Can anyone suggest a tyre size that will fit and a suitable tyre.
I still have the standard rear dunlop tyre on so would like if possible to keep to dunlop !
Also....any idea's as to where is the best value tyre supplier !

Many Thanks

Stephen
Old 10-02-09, 10:44 PM   #2
Dan

Default Re: Tyres

So you want to fit a bigger, heavier front tyre?

Why? Ever heard of unsprung mass?
Old 10-02-09, 10:46 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Personally I'd stick with the stock sizes. Nothing wrong with them IMHO. You could try a 120 / 70 on the front it'll change the handling though so make sure you know what you want and what you expect, it wont make the tyre look any wider though as the width is the same. I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve TBH.

Personally you've only ridden the bike 700 miles, then you havent done enough time on it, ride it more get used to it and the way it handles then think about making changes to it. Theres not alot wrong with the standard dunlops, certainly IMHO not enough to warrant throwing the front away with that little milleage on it. You'll want to fit another Dunlop to the front but I'm not going to recommend you one as I dont know what'll work with the rear Stock D220.

have a read of the tyre section for some more threads on this subject

http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 10:46 PM   #4
s.j.robson@bt

OK fair point !
The standard tyre is not very confidence inspiring tho !!
What do you run with ?
Old 10-02-09, 10:47 PM   #5
sinbad

I don't think anyone will advise you to do that.
The wheel is designed to fit 120 section tyres and you'd struggle to fit anything much wider in there anyway. You wouldn't improve the handling even if you did, it would (I expect, no experience of it myself) feel heavier and steer slower. All in all not a great idea imo

There are those who think the Dunlops you're on don't inspire confidence, and there are tyres that look "chunkier" just because they have a different tread pattern. So consider swapping both tyres, (although I'd say the Dunlops are alright personally, it's not a night-and-day difference if you go for something better), but I wouldn't go for anything more extreme.
Old 10-02-09, 10:57 PM   #6
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

If you put a wider tyre on the standard wheel would it not then squish the tyre and make the shape more pointy rather than curved? So then you'd have less tread in contact in a straight line but more when it's cranked over? That's what I imagine would happen but god knows in reality
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 10:59 PM   #7
kwak zzr

stick to the correct sizes, manufacturers must fit that size for a reason.
Old 10-02-09, 11:03 PM   #8
s.j.robson@bt

all sounds like good advice ! thanks !
the guy at the suzuki centre said the standard tyre was fitted for durability not grip !
Old 10-02-09, 11:06 PM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.j.robson@bt View Post
all sounds like good advice ! thanks !
the guy at the suzuki centre said the standard tyre was fitted for durability not grip !
Thats probably because he was trying to sell you some new tyres

I mean no offence, but you've only ridden the bike 700 miles, ride it more, the D220 do give plenty of grip, just not as much as some other makes / types of tyres.

Is the SV your first bike ? If so ride it more, if you've been riding at this time of year its difficult to get feel from cold tyres, cold wet roads. You wont be the only one suffering from lack of feel / confidence. The grips there you just need to develop a better feel for it and you'll only do that by riding.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 11:09 PM   #10
kwak zzr

when i was choosing tyres for my sv my local fitter (x racer) said "you'll never push any of the modern tyres to there limits there all good just some feel different to others"