SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-10-07, 10:34 PM   #1
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Frankenstein's front end changes again

OK, so. As of yesterday, my front end consisted of:

GSXR SRAD 750 yokes
GSXR K2 750 forks, mudguard and calipers
A titanium SRAD axle I got off 21Quest
Fireblade fitment Dymag 3-spoke front wheel
Honda SP-2 discs

But those forks needed rebuilt, and they were in a pretty sorry state cosmetically, so instead of throwing good money at them I've replaced them with a set off a K4 750, along with calipers off... somethingorother. I thought they were GSXR but, more on that later.

Blech, gold. I don't like gold forks... Especially as they don't match my wheel. But the black lowers are nice. See the benefits of working in a tidy workspace

Something odd here though... K4s use 300mm discs, don't they? But as you can see this is all lining up without spacers on a 320mm disc. It looks like the calipers, whatever they're off, are built to sit 10mm further out than usual. Anyone know what they're off? They're 2-pad, 4 piston numbers, not the nicer 4-pads ones. Mudguard nearly fits, but not quite, which is irritating... But it's good enough for now, my old forks had 3 broken bolts anyway so it'll have one more than usual.

The caliper bolts bottom out too... I need to find a washer the right size to sit between the bolt head and caliper, probably. Those bolts are off a K6, though my 2006 R6 bolts are also too long.

Incidentally, I wanted to fit my R6 calipers- they're way lighter (I think about 300g the pair), and generally well regarded. But they have a little collar built in that should sit into a recess on the forks, and while the K6 GSXR forks have a recess for that that, these K4 ones don't. I don't know if the little collar is removable, I gave one a little poke but it wouldn't shift. Well, anything's removable but I don't want to maul my calipers!

Gap between discs and pads. Not big. These are low mile pads but I've got a wee suspicion that brand new pads might rub. This is obviously a worry... Some people would worry about having the discs offset within the pad run, I don't, it's a hydraulic system so it shouldn't mind if the start points are different. One set of pistons will be a wee bit more exposed to the elements. I could shim the discs out by a mm or so, that's definately a possibility.

Will it work with other parts? I think so, but I want to try it tomorrow with an SRAD wheel and discs. I think it'll be even tighter, so spacing the discs out might be mandatory.

Not ridden on it yet, as you might be able to guess
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-07, 11:03 PM   #2
Scooby Drew

Default Re: Frankenstein's front end changes again

Was going to pop round for a cuppa - would have been an entertaining afternoon Is it running or not?
Old 13-10-07, 11:16 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Running, yes. Brakes? Not so much... There wasn't much to see this afternoon, I was off shopping
Old 14-10-07, 12:53 AM   #4
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Gold is the new Silver you know......just clearing that up

Calipers I reckon are GSXR1000 K5/K6...don't quote me but pretty sure they are. The Kwaks use Gold calipers but the GSXR1000 K5/K6 are definitel Black.

Also the GSXR K5/K6 I believe have Ally inserts(in fork bottoms) which are threaded. All that can be checked if you are curious as I know a man with a complete GSXR K6 front end

Probably worked out that all you need for the mud guard is a strip of thin metal drilled at opposite ends. Self tapping screws(or bolt and nut) to attach one end to mudguard and bottom half bolts on with a bolt to the fork bottom...infact that's how mine is secured.

Sounds like it all went relatively nice and easy. If you decide you need to space out discs, let us know. I'll be getting some made for that wee project of mine so possible to sort an extra set

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-07, 01:44 AM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST View Post
Also the GSXR K5/K6 I believe have Ally inserts(in fork bottoms) which are threaded. All that can be checked if you are curious as I know a man with a complete GSXR K6 front end
Makes sense, there's definately some sort of inserts in the K6 fork bottoms, I think they're just push fit but to be honest, I can't remember.

All very easy really, but then, if it wasn't it'd have screwed up somewhere I suppose Now, getting the forks set up will probably take me another 6 months.

Incidentally, as a result of some other stuff today, the Bandit 12 rear wheel plan went out the window... But I might have some machining work for your mates, for a caliper hanger. Not quite sorted the back end stuff yet though. Anyone want some Bandit wheels?
Old 14-10-07, 07:03 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Got it all properly back together. The suspension is much as i remember it from the last set before they went off- my front-rear bounce is gone, which is nice, and it's tracking much better in wobbly corners. I just copied my settings off the old forks, finetuning still to come, but even on my shakedown ride I just felt completely at home. Lovely.

Brakes... Well, usual "new fluid" disclaimer applies. Not totally happy with these to be honest, I'm so used to the old 4-pots that any change always feels odd, and these are a wee bit more on/off. Still totally usable and controllable but right now I'd sooner have the old ones I'll give that some time. Actually, I've got no idea what pads are in them, I'd assumed it'd be the OE but maybe not- could be there's some daft aggro compound in there. The "across" brake hose is too short, the banjos are further down on these than they were on the old ones so it won't sit in the right place. Annoyed.

Pics:

Note to self: When you decide to take some pics with which to show off the bike, remember to take the camera bracket and luggage rack off first
Old 14-10-07, 09:50 PM   #7
Jase22

This really makes me want to get a nice front end on my bike, shame I've got neither the time nor the brass for it!!!

Looks pretty swish though, bar dodgy rack at back...
Old 14-10-07, 09:57 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Rack? What rack? I can't see any rack.

It's cheaper than you'd think... Obviously mine's got out of hand but the first time, it cost me about £100 including powdercoating after selling the SV bits and I did it in an afternoon
Old 15-10-07, 08:41 AM   #9
John 675

Red face Re: Frankenstein's front end changes again

whilst on the subject northwind i have been offered a k5 gixxer thou front end at a decent price can this be applied to the sv?
Old 15-10-07, 08:56 AM   #10
petevtwin650

Can't believe you changed all that in a day Northwind.

So the new front was £140. Did that include those calipers too?

My mate has a Gxsr 750 K6 and they only have 2 pads per caliper.