SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-05-06, 11:30 AM   #1
muffles

Default K3 radiator (help?)

Hi everyone - new member & biker, passed test on 25th April (bought bike 27th April :P )...

Problem I've got is, the bike had been over before - we checked it out but one thing we didn't notice was that the radiator was damaged. It doesn't leak but it's moved position, and as a result when I fitted the lower fairing we had to bodge the mount to the fairing somewhat

It's secure, but I'm pedantic, so I'm investigating replacing the rad - so can anyone answer the following?

- How much is a new one from the dealers (I can't find any pattern part places that have radiators)?
- How much would I be looking to pay for one second hand?
- If I got a K4+ radiator, which I've read are slightly smaller (not as wide), would it fit correctly? I would need to get the brackets for the fairing, I may have thrown them away, so is it possible to get just the brackets separately from the dealer? How much £ roughly?

Other than that, hi....
Old 08-05-06, 08:38 PM   #2
muffles

help? anyone?
Old 08-05-06, 08:43 PM   #3
Carsick

I don't know any details on replacing the rad, but I've heard that you can get a decent replacement custom made for less than the OE part.
It's the k5+ rad that is narrower, the k4 is the same as the k3.
Old 08-05-06, 08:48 PM   #4
muffles

is a custom made one cheaper because it's damn expensive anyway? i really just have no guide price to the cost of a rad, that's why all the questions
Old 08-05-06, 08:55 PM   #5
Valman

Default Re: K3 radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles

- How much is a new one from the dealers (I can't find any pattern part places that have radiators)?
- How much would I be looking to pay for one second hand?
- If I got a K4+ radiator, which I've read are slightly smaller (not as wide), would it fit correctly? I would need to get the brackets for the fairing, I may have thrown them away, so is it possible to get just the brackets separately from the dealer? How much £ roughly?

Other than that, hi....
Hi there.
A new radiator is roughly £400 from a dealer.
They don't often come up on the second hand market and when they do you're looking at spending roughly £150 for one in very good condition, less if your lucky.
As far as I know the radiators are the same for the K3 and K4 and so it all fits in the same way, you just use the spacer between the bolt on the fairing and the radiator.

Remember that the radiator doesn't have anything bolted to the side as standard anyway so I wouldn't worry about it too much, mine was damaged and the bolt holding the fairing to the radiator was pulled out as well. 5000 miles on and it's all holding up and I've not had any problems. What you could do is carefully bend the mounts back on the radiator if it's pushed to one side so that it sits properly on the bike.
Old 09-05-06, 08:24 AM   #6
muffles

Ah, a price! I think i probably wouldn't stretch as far as £400, but £150 probably. I'm kicking myself that I missed an SV being broken on ebay a week or so before I got my one...

The radiator won't bend back into it's original position - it's wayyy off

I'm happy to wait until i see a good 2nd hand deal and change it over then...
Old 09-05-06, 08:41 AM   #7
Mr Toad

I've just been quoted £340 for a new radiator by my dealer, although this is for a SV1000 so it might be different. If you need the fan assembly then that's another £207

A good place to look for parts is the Ron Ayres fiche - see Ron Ayres

Do a straight conversion of the price in $ to £, and then add some . . .

hth
Old 09-05-06, 11:47 AM   #8
muffles

actually i haven't checked the fan

it's behind the rad it looks like, i will see if i can check it, what with the fairing being there now...

hope it's not broken! what temperatures do your engines normally run at? mine's been in the 80-100 degrees (celsius) range. I assumed that was ok, iirc from car engines that's not particularly abnormal....!
Old 09-05-06, 01:17 PM   #9
Valman

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles
actually i haven't checked the fan

it's behind the rad it looks like, i will see if i can check it, what with the fairing being there now...

hope it's not broken! what temperatures do your engines normally run at? mine's been in the 80-100 degrees (celsius) range. I assumed that was ok, iirc from car engines that's not particularly abnormal....!
Those temperatures are fine, nothing to worry about at all. The fan normally comes on when the display is showing around 105 degrees celsius, it's quite loud so you'll be able to hear it at idle at least, and if you get much higher than that and it doesn't come on then you have a problem.
Old 09-05-06, 01:20 PM   #10
Valman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad
...If you need the fan assembly then that's another £207

hth
I did not know it was that much. I picked up a radiator last year with all the other bits attached to it including the fan assembly, hoses, horn etc. all for £120 including postage, so it looks like I could make a fair bit back on that.