SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2010 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2010 SV650.org's annual rideout

Old 14-07-10, 07:41 AM   #31
combatfred

Default Re: I.C.E (incase of emergency)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I'm sure I've seen someone (probably on here) with it written on a bit of masking tape stuck to their lid (plus a warning about removing the lid)
Me and Wendy wear metal dogtags (under a tenner off eBay) plus have a few stickers dotted about our lids saying "Rider Wearing Dogtags". I think anything that might speed up the treatment process when the sh*t hits the fan can only be a good thing.

We don't just wear the tags on the bike though. They get worn when skiing/snowboarding. Oh and if going out in Glasgow...........
Old 15-07-10, 08:23 AM   #32
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
A lot aren't unfortunately! Had to correct a nurse (amongst others) before.
This is true, but some who are aware of the dangers of removing a helmet are unfortunately sometimes unaware that people need to breath to live....

I practically had to fight off a well meaning individual who once tried to stop me removing a riders helmet so that I could give him mouth to mouth....
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-10, 03:22 PM   #33
thulfi

RH is right. Airway is first and foremost. Not removing the helmet protects the neck from further injury, but if you know someone is not breathing then you really need to be giving them air, otherwise they will die much sooner.

That said, mouth to mouth is not always a must if the person is uncomfortable doing it/worried about disease transmission,etc - chest compressions alone may be enough until the parameds get there.
Old 15-07-10, 03:43 PM   #34
G
Mega Poster

I don't carry an ICE number. Infact I don't carry much. The only item I really carry is my photocard driving license in my pocket so that I can be identified.

I don't have anything else special medically that needs to be notified so I don't see the point.

The police will contact my next of kin where and when necessary dependent on the situation. I would not particularly want them contacted over the phone by someone other than the police, it's what the police are trained for afterall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulfi View Post
RH is right. Airway is first and foremost. Not removing the helmet protects the neck from further injury, but if you know someone is not breathing then you really need to be giving them air, otherwise they will die much sooner.

That said, mouth to mouth is not always a must if the person is uncomfortable doing it/worried about disease transmission,etc - chest compressions alone may be enough until the parameds get there.
The Red Cross/StJohn advanced first aid and refreshers courses now actually tell you NOT to give mouth to mouth. A few of our first aiders came back puzzled after their refresher course, but apparently its right.
Old 15-07-10, 03:58 PM   #35
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post

The Red Cross/StJohn advanced first aid and refreshers courses now actually tell you NOT to give mouth to mouth. A few of our first aiders came back puzzled after their refresher course, but apparently its right.
We are still taught to do it but I know that they have stopped it in a few of the general publics first aid courses.
Old 15-07-10, 04:31 PM   #36
-Ralph-

Not doing mouth to mouth is a bit ridiculous is it not? Just feeds the culture we are building in the UK/US of "Who cares if somebody else dies, so long as I'm not going to get sued or catch the flu". I don't think there are many really serious illnesses that are prevalent in this country and can be caught via mouth to mouth. I'd rather catch a cold than stand and watch somebody die. The chances of getting seriously ill from mouth to mouth must be pretty slim or people would never have done it, and there would be snogging teenagers filling every hospital bed. We just don't value life unless it's our own nowadays.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 15-07-10 at 04:35 PM.
Old 15-07-10, 04:36 PM   #37
widepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulfi View Post

has far as I know (and I stand to be corrected)mouth to mouth is for people who arnt breathing and chest compressions are for people whose heart has stopped
widepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-10, 04:36 PM   #38
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Not doing mouth to mouth is a bit ridiculous is it not? Just feeds the culture we are building in the UK/US of "Who cares if somebody else dies, so long as I'm not going to get sued or catch the flu". I don't think there are many really serious illnesses that are prevalent in this country and can be caught via mouth to mouth. I'd rather catch a cold than stand and watch somebody die. The chances of getting seriously ill from mouth to mouth must be pretty slim or people would never have done it, and there would be snogging teenagers filling every hospital bed. We just don't value life unless it's our own nowadays.
It's more to do with the fact a lot of people can't do mouth to mouth properly (don't actually get air into lungs cause they haven't made the proper seal) and spend too much time focussing on it when really they should just do compressions.
Old 15-07-10, 04:38 PM   #39
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by widepants View Post
has far as I know (and I stand to be corrected)mouth to mouth is for people who arnt breathing and chest compressions are for people whose heart has stopped
Thulfi is training to be a Dr. Pretty sure he'll be clued up on this.

We are certainly trained that if someone is not breathing we are to commence full CPR, not just mouth to mouth as it is more than likely if they are in respiritory arrest they will soon be in cardiac arrest anyway.
Old 15-07-10, 04:47 PM   #40
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
It's more to do with the fact a lot of people can't do mouth to mouth properly (don't actually get air into lungs cause they haven't made the proper seal) and spend too much time focussing on it when really they should just do compressions.
If education is the issue, why stop teaching on first aid courses? Just teach it properly. It's pretty obvious if the chest isn't rising that you don't have a seal. As for too many breaths and not enough compressions, in my paternity classes I was told to sing quickly whilst doing it, one compression per word

"Nelly the elephant packed her trunk and said goodbye to the circus, off she went with a trumpty, trump, trump, trump, trump" ... breathe ... "Nelly the elephant packed her trunk and said goodbye to the circus, off she went with a trumpty, trump, trump, trump, trump" ... breathe...

Never done it mind you, so don't know how good I'd be, the only time I'd ever needed to I had just pulled my unconscious stepfather 300 yds through some big waves and couldn't do much other than collapse myself when I got onto the beach, luckily there was a doctor there who took over.