SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-07-19, 05:40 PM   #1
daktulos

Default Comparisons & seat height

OK, I realise that this isn't exactly scientific, the photos will vary a lot depending on camera position, focal length and even post-processing (what's with those tyres?) but I found it interesting enough to be worthwhile.

Here is a photo of a curvy with a third-generation (tubey?) overlaid with an orange outline:

Probably the most interesting bit is the difference in seat height/shape. That, and the stubby pillion seat.

For comparison, here's a Street Triple R with the new SV overlaid:

It's a little harder to line up, but I think it's pretty close. Shorter, with what looks like lower handlebars and a much higher seat (although an even stubbier pillion seat).

Anyway, I was just playing around ... although have been thinking about seat height a lot lately, you can probably tell.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-19, 07:58 PM   #2
zsv650s

Default Re: Comparisons & seat height

Tbh the older version had a better engineered frame the new one is just the gladius cast off with all the newbie friendly ergonomics remaining no hate on it but that's why it's so low.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-19, 09:16 PM   #3
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650s View Post
Tbh the older version had a better engineered frame the new one is just the gladius cast off with all the newbie friendly ergonomics remaining no hate on it but that's why it's so low.
I'm 6 foot and have a curvy ... I've not tried an AL7+, but I fear that a lower seat may be a bit cramped. I also worry about slipping forward, which I've seen mentioned here before.

Just window shopping, mind.
Old 28-07-19, 09:25 PM   #4
zsv650s

Honestly it's a nice enough bike but it seems a bit parts bin special even for suzuki too cheapy feeling I love the frames on the curvy and pointy but the new one does nothing for me hopefully the next redesign gets a bit more aggressive modern.
Old 28-07-19, 09:28 PM   #5
Talking Heads

The standard AL7 seat is only comfortable if you sit in one position, the flat section at the front.
If you try and move back you're sitting on a slope.
I'm falling out of love with mine, its a total nightmare to clean, the mudguards are non-existent, the storage and practicality leaves a huge amount to be desired.
I bought it primarily for commuting but most days I can't be arsed with it and take the car.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-19, 09:35 PM   #6
zsv650s

I miss the days of the big 90's seats seriously my rf900r was like a sofa in comparison to new bikes.
Old 29-07-19, 06:58 AM   #7
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
its a total nightmare to clean, the mudguards are non-existent
Agreed. Most modern bikes are impractical for our climate with regard to mudguards.
I have always thought that the curvy was the best looking SV but I assume that an aluminium frame is much more expensive to manufacture than a steel frame.

I think Suzuki keep shooting for niche markets with the SV and shoot themselves in the foot instead. The Gladius was designed to tempt more female riders with its softer lines and pastel colours. The new SV with its lowest-in-class seat height was supposed to tempt new riders by allowing them to get their feet flat.
I've had my AL7 for a little over 3 years and I've done 24000 miles, in that time I've seen 3 other AL7 and countless MT07. I remember the curvy being introduced, riders and the press were excited but it has faded with each successive model. The MT07 has taken the spot which the Gladius surrendered and the AL7 hasn't been able to reclaim.

Having said that, the AL7 fits my purpose and style better than any bike I've owned and I shall keep it. I need to keep experimenting with spray reduction though...
I don't know Suzuki's financial situation, are they losing money because their whole range needs a revamp - the new Katana is a tarted up old model with new bodywork and ho hum performance. Maybe their dirt bikes are doing better?

Last edited by Seeker; 29-07-19 at 07:03 AM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-19, 03:49 PM   #8
daktulos

I'll keep my curvy going for now, but I think if it ever becomes unrepairable, I'm more likely to look at an alternative right now ... which is a shame.

Last edited by daktulos; 29-07-19 at 04:09 PM.