SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-03-08, 01:35 PM   #11
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Anti-Pinch Pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
this makes for interesting viewing!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VC3hFr8p2ck&feature=user
The vid that made me buy the series IV almax

Let us know how you get on with the pin thingy, pics and all

Matt
Old 28-03-08, 05:09 PM   #12
Ceri JC

I take it you just slide these through the frame to give you somewhere to chain a big chain to other than the wheels? I presume it doesn't stay in place when you're actually riding the bike?
Old 28-03-08, 09:44 PM   #13
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
I take it you just slide these through the frame to give you somewhere to chain a big chain to other than the wheels? I presume it doesn't stay in place when you're actually riding the bike?
That's the one! I'm going to look at my new bike before I buy one, not sure if it fits yet.
Old 05-08-08, 08:50 AM   #14
Ceri JC

Has anyone used one of these on a pointy? I am giving very serious thought to buying one, but can't see any reference being made to SVs on the site.
Old 05-08-08, 09:10 AM   #15
hovis

how strong is the pin?

as its no good having a 200quid chain if the bolt can be cut in a few mins?
Old 05-08-08, 10:49 AM   #16
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Good point hovis. Would like to see some sort or testing on it similar to what Almax show you. (that vid is what made me buy an Almax chain)
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 11:01 AM   #17
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Ceri JC there is a fella by the name of GordonM on here that has one, he recommended it to me see 'Rate My Security' Thread he is using it on a K8 pointy through the frame underneath the tank. Dont know what length tho maybge he'll see this and enlighten us with more info.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 03:16 PM   #18
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
how strong is the pin?

as its no good having a 200quid chain if the bolt can be cut in a few mins?
It's a lot thicker than the Almax links, so I think it's strong enough - because it doesn't need to move around like a chain it can be made stronger. That's the problem with chains, they are physically big but it's not a solid lump of metal, because it needs to bend round stuff, etc. Chances are it would take longer to angle grind through, due to sheer volume of material.

Having said that I haven't tried it. Btw if the Almax links only just fit in a bolt cropper (from the videos I've seen) you're unlikely to be able to fit the pin itself in a bolt cropper.
Old 05-08-08, 10:32 PM   #19
GordonM

It was this thread that I first learned about the anti-pinch pin and made me join sv650.org, thanks gettin2dizzy

I bought the 490 mm long Anti-pinch pin which seems fine, the ends of chain fit on comfortably without pressing against the fairing.

I put the pin through the small triangular hole in the frame under the tank. I have to be careful to avoid some wires and pipes though. There's a pipe which I think is the coolant going into the rear cylinder of the engine that can't be totally avoided. The pin is partly resting on this and partly resting on the frame at the right hand side of the bike.

I have my chain through my ground anchor and coming up each side of the bike to the pin, then padlocked with the Squire SS65CS padlock. My chain is an Almax Series IV 19mm chain. The ground anchor is a Colossus concrete-in type flush with the ground.

It works great and I feel my bike is much safer now than when I just had a chain through the back wheel. Though I know anything can be destroyed with the right equipment.

Photo time....

This is the hole in the frame where I put the pin. The bit of light you see above the hose is where I put the pin. When the bike is tilted to the left on the side stand, the frame at the right takes part of the weight of the pin and chain.

Chained to ground anchor:

2 metre chain, 3 links unused. I had to cut slits in the cover at the 4th link to allow the pin to pass through. This makes the chain tight around the ground anchor and onto the pin.

Err, I hope no one is still on dialup with all these images.
Old 28-05-09, 01:26 PM   #20
hindle8907
Mega Poster

can some one tell me where to get this pinch pin for a sv650n K6 i have the ALMAX 19mm IV as well 2meter
cheers

Last edited by hindle8907; 28-05-09 at 01:55 PM.
hindle8907 is offline   Reply With Quote